Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Travel sickness, HELP

(20 Posts)
RedHeadMumma Tue 25-Apr-17 12:40:37

I'm planning a trip to visit my family on Sunday, the trip is about a 6 hour journey on a good day. My DD recently turned 2 and has very bad travel sickness which can be brought on by the shortest of car journeys. Last time we traveled up there she was very ill and actually was sick. Can anyone recommend anything that could help or has helped you with your children. I'd be very appreciative halo

PicklesandPi Tue 25-Apr-17 12:46:20

Turn the airbags off and let her sit in the front. It's not ideal but it does help.

Shootingstar2289 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:11:59

You can buy travel sickness tablets. When I was little I suffered terribly and I would take tablets called 'joy rides'. I have no idea if you can still buy them but maybe ask in a pharmacy. They can be chewed. I have no idea what age they be taken from, but worth a look. Other than that, I have no idea. The tablets were the only thing that helped me! My parents tried everything!

I still get travel sickness now if I was to sit in the back, have the heating on in the car or look at my phone etc. I tend to drive.

Good luck!

DubiousCredentials Wed 26-Apr-17 20:14:41

Yy to sitting in the front seat. We use Kwells Kids but not sure of the age you can use them from. Cool air. No reading or looking at books etc.

WellErrr Wed 26-Apr-17 20:17:15

Ask a pharmacist about Phenergan.

Watto1 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:21:39

If you can't move her to the front seat, can you move he car seat to the middle of the back seat? I've suffered all my life and a clear view out of the front makes all the difference. No books whatever you do. Also, it may sound counter-intuitive, but try travelling after a meal. I always feel much worse if I am travelling on an empty stomach.

Imaginarymenagerie Wed 26-Apr-17 20:25:54

I had awful travel sickness when I was a child, my mum swore by sea bands. You can get them in children's sizes from a chemist.

DubiousCredentials Wed 26-Apr-17 20:26:55

Yes ds is worse on an empty stomach too.

AverysillyoldHector Wed 26-Apr-17 20:29:33

I've been travel sick since childhood and still throw up if I dont take a tablet for even the shortest journey. Hyoscine (Kwells and Boots Travel Calm) works for me as does cyclizine. Have to say that sitting in a particular seat didnt make any difference, but eating before does help a bit. Maybe ask the Pharmacist and if they cant help, the GP, as I doubt there is anything you could buy which is for such small children. Bless her.

Mu123 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:45:17

Kwells kids aren't being made any more according to my local boots. We've had to switch to stugeron

RedHeadMumma Thu 27-Apr-17 09:46:24

Thanks for all the replys, I asked the pharmacy if they could recommend anything but they said they couldn't I'm going to try the bigger one see if they have anything

Mu123 Thu 27-Apr-17 18:13:14

Ive just read this, might help totstotravel.co.uk/blog/preventing-and-curing-travel-sickness/

Millie2013 Thu 27-Apr-17 18:30:40

OTC medications for travel sickness aren't licensed for under 3s. My GP recommended piriton and we use it for long journeys and it definitely helps.

Manon10 Thu 27-Apr-17 21:10:03

My DD (12) finds Stugeron (cinnarizine) tablets effective for travel sickness; you can buy them otc from a pharmacy

Manon10 Thu 27-Apr-17 21:11:29

Oh, just seen she's 2, not 12. Might be useful in the future!

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Thu 27-Apr-17 21:12:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JDSTER Thu 27-Apr-17 22:26:58

millie is right, the pharmacist won't sell you anything over the counter because of her age. Piriton is an anti histamine and likely to cause drowsiness but no bad thing for the journey! It can be given to children from the age of 1 but if you tell the pharmacist you want it for travel sickness they likely won't sell it to you as that's not a direct indication for use. My daughter (5) wears travel bands, children's size, and they seem to help a bit.

tealady Thu 27-Apr-17 22:36:17

Assuming she is strapped into a car seat but legs 'dangling' as she is still little. This can increase the feeling of motion sickness (it's like being on a fairground ride). Put a upturned crate on the floor in front of her so she can rest her feet on toand help counter this effect.

Consider driving in the evening at her bedtime so that she sleeps?

Cover her car seat in an old sheet or towel just in case and take a clean up kit with you. wipes water etc.

If she's awake distract with songs, music etc

AverysillyoldHector Thu 27-Apr-17 23:22:56

I think Kwells are just temporarily out of stock. It has happened before eyes stockpile

SophieGiroux Thu 27-Apr-17 23:44:24

You can get phenergan liquid and give one 5ml spoonful the night before travel for 2 year olds. However a lot of pharmacies are wary about selling it as a lot of parents have used it to sedate their kids in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now