Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Splinter help!

(4 Posts)
user1482334903 Mon 24-Apr-17 15:30:10

Hi my dd age 3 splintered her hands over the weekend when she ran into a wooden fence. I have managed to remove most of them but there are still a few tiny dots in her hands. They are not sore and they are not showing any signs of redness or swelling. They are tiny and only visible when you look closely.

I took her to the minor injuries unit yesterday but after a three hour wait, we were told by a doctor that they are just superficial and to wash them out with soap and water (which i course I have tried multiple times!)

I have tried pretty much everything from magnesium sulphate to raw potato but these tiny dots don't seem to be going anywhere!

Wwyd? My dh says to just leave them naturally come out.

Thanks

P1nkP0ppy Mon 24-Apr-17 15:36:53

Blister plasters will draw out splinters but if they're not bothering her I wouldn't worry. They'll be very superficial and eventually work their way out. A bar of barely damp soap rubbed onto her hands sometimes works.

ZeroFuchsGiven Mon 24-Apr-17 15:40:44

Sugar and Soap!

Grate some soap and add sugar, mix into a paste and apply to splinter, cover with a plaster or bandage and leave overnight, it should have drawn them out by morning.

user1482334903 Mon 24-Apr-17 15:50:00

Thanks very much for your advice . I have been worried about infections but like I said, they're not bothering her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now