Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

OOH or wait until the morning

(9 Posts)
nearlyfinishednearlystarted Sun 23-Apr-17 18:12:45

My tough number 2 (5 years old) has had a temperature of 39.2 & down to 38.2 for 24hrs. He has slept or just sat most of today and has now asked to go to bed so is in our bed. We have regularly given calpol & ibuprofen, but not sure if he needs to be seen tonight. He has had heaps of infections in the past & he is always difficult to make a judgement on.

He has no rash, have just changed his pj's & checked all over & no obvious wheezing/chest infection/sore throat. He just says his legs hurt which makes me think it is viral & if so I presume there is nothing they can do. I go a bit blind when it is one of my own so any advise welcome.

nearlyfinishednearlystarted Sun 23-Apr-17 18:19:36

He is asleep now & it is down to 38.4 with calpol 40 minutes ago so hopefully he will be ok until the morning.

ciderfairy3009 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:23:11

I would suggest if your worried about him just to ring 111 and see what they suggest if he's settled keep an eye on him and call the doctors for an emergency appointment because if he needs antibiotics you probably not likely to get any tonight! Hope he's better soon x

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Sun 23-Apr-17 18:25:05

Is he drinking?

nearlyfinishednearlystarted Sun 23-Apr-17 18:29:28

Thanks both.

He is not drinking enough, hasn't eaten today but trying to get little sips in him. Will go and do more now.

Haudyerwheesht Sun 23-Apr-17 18:33:40

Is he usually like this when he's unwell? My kids for example never rest or sleep when Unwell even with pneumonia angry and a temperature of 40.5 so his lethargy would really concern me if it was my child.

If this is within the realms of normal for him though I wouldn't be too concerned just keep an eye on him overnight and if he wakes try and get him to drink.

nearlyfinishednearlystarted Sun 23-Apr-17 18:40:25

Yes it is the lethargy that is new/different. I just woke him & got him to drink a bit so will give him an hour and see how he is.

Sunshineandlaughter Sun 23-Apr-17 19:19:23

I would take him to ooh. Because there doesn't seem to be an obvious cause of the temp and because he's not drinking properly.

Is he snotty?

Is the temp actually coming down with meds?

Sunshineandlaughter Sun 23-Apr-17 19:29:01

And leg pains can be a symptom of menginitus but obviously it's much more likely he just has a virus like you say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now