Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9 month old with persistent chesty cough. Help!

(6 Posts)
Jenjen18 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:25:16

My 9 month old dd has been having persistent chesty cough and cold for 4 weeks. She's been projectile vomiting at least twice a day due to the congestion. She doesn't have fever and she's fine otherwise. Playing, drinking and eating quite normally but her night sleep has been horrible. She wakes up a few times at night coughing really badly and sometimes vomits. I've been to the GP three times now and been told that it's viral and it will go away eventually. I'm getting worried as she doesn't seem to be getting better and I don't know what to do.. the last GP gave antibiotics but told to only use it as necessary if her condition deteriorates. Is it normal to have chesty cough for so long? By the way, I was told her lungs are clear.

Cammysmoma Sat 22-Apr-17 12:51:26

She could have asthma or bronchitis! I'd take her to get a second opinion you can never be too sure when it comes to your little ones health. Don't let them fob you off because a cough for 4 weeks is not normal!

Also, telling you your child's lungs are clear but giving you antibiotics anyway? I would be challenging why thy offered meds when they didn't think there was anything wrong.

I hope she feels better soon x

Sunshineandlaughter Sat 22-Apr-17 12:54:43

Give the antibiotics and also go and get an inhaler - ridiculous she's been left to suffer for so long.

welshweasel Sat 22-Apr-17 13:00:10

Prolonged viral coughs in babies at this time of year are very common. If there is no fever, lungs are clear and she's eating and drinking I wouldn't be hugely concerned. DS has been similar, in fact I was saying to the doctor when we went for a perforated ear drum that he'd had a cough for more time in his life than he hadn't! He's 14 months. A lot of the noise is from the upper airways, babies are rubbish at clearing their throats. That said, if you're worried, do seek a second opinion, even if it's just to set your mind at rest.

Sunshineandlaughter Sat 22-Apr-17 13:58:02

Welsh that would be true but waking up at night vomiting from coughing and not being able to breath isn't normal

Spongesecret008 Sun 23-Apr-17 13:17:13

You could phone NHS direct and see an out of ours doctor if she is bad during the night. I had to do this with my son because his symptoms are always worse at night. The out of hours doctor was very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now