Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old DS itchy bottom

(20 Posts)
MovingHouseNC Fri 21-Apr-17 20:54:51

Sigh Oh to be a parent...
DS has this evening been complaining of a VERY itchy bottom, he has actually been crying with discomfort (he can tend towards being over dramatic anyway but was genuinely distressed). I've had a good look, several times including with a torch and can't see anything. His anus looks normal, no marks, no worms that I could see, nothing that looked like eggs (don't know if these are too small to see).

I figure he probably has threadworms - never had it before but he does attend nursery. Would I definitely be able to see the worms? Any other signs? I don't know if maybe it's just itchy because he didn't wipe properly after his last bowel movement he started complaining it was itchy after his evening bath (nothing new in the bath) so it was completely clean the first time I checked it. Any advice?

Ellieboolou27 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:57:07

Worms most probably and they usually come out at night sad
maybe put a little sudo cream there or Vaseline until his taken the worming treatment.

bigchris Fri 21-Apr-17 20:57:28

I'd get the worm tablets tomorrow

Wash all the bedding

Job done

Put sudocrem on tonight to soothe the itching

theothersideoftheworld Fri 21-Apr-17 20:57:37

If it is worms you might not see them by just looking at his bottom. Next time he has a poo, have a look at it and see if you can see any.
Oh the joy of being a mum .......!

picklemepopcorn Fri 21-Apr-17 20:59:40

Look later with a torch. Also, after a poo wipe with a damp cotton wool ball. You'll soon see them.

MovingHouseNC Fri 21-Apr-17 21:01:11

Ooh fab, thanks for sudocreme tip, was wondering what I could do. I think he is asleep now but I will have it handy if he wakes in the night. Will get worming stuff tomorrow (it's OTC isn't it?) as it won't hurt either way. Will also ask to see his poo confused
Cheers all

Enidblyton1 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:01:39

I've never seen a worm, but mine have definitely had them. Itchy bottom at night is the major sign. Get tablets first thing tomorrow, wash bed linen and remember to take second tablet 15 days later. The second tablet is v important otherwise the worms will multiply with a vengeance shock

(If your child doesn't like tablets, try asking for liquid medicine. My DC recently had worms while we were in France and pharmacies give out liquid medicine.)

user1486076969 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:07:49

Ovex tablets work a treat (if you can get him to take them)

gamerchick Fri 21-Apr-17 21:09:42

Just treat and treat the whole family.

I'm always bemused by these threads, talk of torches, the ninja thing in the middle of the night and sticky tape. Christ I worm the kids almost like I would the cat.

Believeitornot Fri 21-Apr-17 21:12:04

Have a look in an hour or so. Don't shine a torch directly as they'll run away and hide (the worms).

Best thing is to give him a good wipe and then have him smear Vaseline around his bottom. The itching is caused by the worms saliva or something. So the Vaseline creates a barrier. I found it better than sudocrem. Also wipe him clean in the morning to remove any eggs laid around his bottom. Do this every night and day for a couple of weeks to break the worm cycle.

It's either worms or he's not being wiped properly after a poo.

MovingHouseNC Fri 21-Apr-17 21:12:45

Thanks all. We've just never had it before gamer and the NHS page talks of seeing the worms so I wanted to check I wasn't missing something.

WorzelsCornyBrows Fri 21-Apr-17 21:19:13

First sign of an itchy bum in our house and the whole family get a dose of ovex (we go for the medicine rather than tablets but only because I can get the children to take it easier). The bedding and towels get washed every day for the next few days, house given a good vac and clean (bathrooms, doorknobs and light switches especially).

Can you tell I'm still traumatised by the sight of one of those wriggly little bastards in my own poo grin

Believeitornot Fri 21-Apr-17 21:26:35

Do you wipe him after a poo? My dd also gets itchy if she doesn't wipe properly.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Fri 21-Apr-17 21:28:59

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1714214138593648&substory_index=0&id=726296134052125

grin😂😂

MovingHouseNC Fri 21-Apr-17 21:30:38

Not for months and months believe. I taught him to wipe properly, checked him for a while and then did a few reminders/checks but I haven't wiped him (or checked) for over a month so it could easily be that he's gotten a bit lazy on wiping. Never happened before but still could be. I will get the meds anyway, and wash bedding etc plus check him after he's wiped for a while so either way it should be sorted.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Fri 21-Apr-17 21:31:41

It's Hurrah for Gin, on the subject of threadworms, for those wary of random FB links.

MovingHouseNC Fri 21-Apr-17 21:32:00

Links not working for me she (but am a little scared)

MovingHouseNC Fri 21-Apr-17 21:32:20

Cross posted smile

TenThousandSpoons Fri 21-Apr-17 21:32:30

Haha SheRaaargh I had just read that on Facebook too, OP you are not alone grin

gamerchick Fri 21-Apr-17 21:34:14

I know OP. Just treat and don't give it any more headspace than you have to. You've reminded me I need to replenish my cupboard so cheers man smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now