Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby straining before bowel movement

(14 Posts)
user1492786297 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:10:29

Is this normal?! Has anyone else experienced this with their baby?
My baby boy, nearly 11 weeks, seems to strain and push for hours prior to a bowel movement. (Not constipated as poo is normal) also struggled badly with trapped wind. It stops him from napping for a decent amount in the day and wakes him up regularly at night

Cammysmoma Fri 21-Apr-17 19:24:13

That's normal Hun. Baby may be colicky if they always have trapped wind, I got a babocush for this and it was a godsend!!! My baby done this all the time and I always used to ask my HV about it, he still does it now, the noises that child makes lol, I tell you 😂

flapjackfairy Fri 21-Apr-17 19:29:45

I have a 2yr old with sn who has the loosest bowel movements in the world.
You would think he was passing a brick ! He would do just fine if no pushing at all but no he groans and gurns for ages beforehand!

CycleHire Fri 21-Apr-17 19:31:30

Normal. I remember asking my HV about it with my eldest. She said not to worry about the effort that goes in but what comes out - as long as consistency is normal then he's not constipated.

CycleHire Fri 21-Apr-17 19:33:23

I remember one night with my youngest the grunting and straining went out for ages. He did a massive fart then SILENCE. I thought that fart had killed him grin

Cammysmoma Fri 21-Apr-17 19:52:40

cyclehire they actually fart like old men sometimes don't they 😂 😂

yikesanotherbooboo Fri 21-Apr-17 20:09:12

This thread would be use ful in a what do new parents need to know pamphlet

Heirhelp Fri 21-Apr-17 20:13:19

Yes normal. They have to learn to poo so they have to learn which muscles to contract and when which is not and easy thing to do when you have such limited understanding of your own body.

abbya91 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:41:52

Thanks everyone. It's so frustrating to see him struggling so much, poor guy. It also interrupts feeding.
Does anyone know when he should grow out of this by? We can't even begin a routine of some kind at the moment because of it

SleepFreeZone Fri 21-Apr-17 21:48:21

I'm chuckling as I can see my baby's poo face in my mind just reading the opening post 🙊

Heirhelp Fri 21-Apr-17 22:03:34

He is far too young for a routine anyway. Are you bf or ff?

abbya91 Fri 21-Apr-17 22:12:43

Well not exactly a proper routine but trying to get a fixed bedtime or similar as a start. Exclusively bf at the moment

Heirhelp Fri 21-Apr-17 22:23:42

I ff from 6 weeks but I liked the easy routine. I am only managing to pin bed time down to a time now at 11 months but I know ebf babies who managed it so much sooner. Four months is often suggested to be the age when babies are capable of recognising a routine.

janeje Sat 22-Apr-17 17:06:48

You didn't tell your LO is BF or FF, however, babies magic tea is supposed to be great help for digestive issues in infants and this will definitely help your LO as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now