Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Irritable hip

(17 Posts)
confusednorthner Wed 19-Apr-17 20:34:56

Ds 9 suffered with awful hip pain about 6-8 weeks ago gp sent us to hospital where they diagnosed irritable hip. It settled after a few days until Easter weekend when he complained a bit. Today he really was in pain at school so have spoke to gp on phone who said keep him dosed up and watch for a temperature but it should settle.
He's not a child who complains easily but he's had paracetamol and neurofen and is still unable to sleep for the pain.
Any experience or should I be worrying it's more?

fairgame84 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:43:11

9 is on the older side for irritable hip. I would take him to out of hours if he is still in pain after being dosed up.
Have they ruled out Perthes and SUFE?

confusednorthner Wed 19-Apr-17 21:00:24

I'm not sure hospital just examined him.... I'm at shops for supplies but will see if he's asleep when I get back.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 19-Apr-17 21:02:21

Did the hospital do an X-ray?

confusednorthner Wed 19-Apr-17 21:10:13

No just moved his legs about and that was it!

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 19-Apr-17 22:56:37

I would strongly suggest taking him somewhere that can X-ray him tomorrow morning. As PP mentioned there are a couple of rare conditions that can be quite serious if not detected & managed early enough

PETRONELLAS Wed 19-Apr-17 23:06:37

Mine had it diagnosed but it came and went in 36 hours. Aged 5-6. They did blood tests and were very serious about it all because, as mentioned, hip pain can be an indicator for other things. X-rays were done early too. I am a worrier about hidden things so if the meds aren't working on the pain trust your instincts and phone out of hours GP. Although ultimately if it's so bad I would go to A and E. But I realise I try to solve problems before they're even problems.

confusednorthner Wed 19-Apr-17 23:09:48

Ds is asleep now, I'm going to get a doctors appointment in morning as reading these and other things is making me worry it could be worse.

okilydokily Wed 19-Apr-17 23:19:22

My son had irritable hip twice, aged under 3. He didn't have that much pain, but his leg would just give way and he'd topple over. Both times we were advised by 111 to take him to A&E. He was given an ultrasound to check it wasn't septic arthritis or Perthes. I would ring 111 if I were you, and explain that he's still in a lot of pain.

AnyFucker Wed 19-Apr-17 23:23:01

He really must have a hip X-ray. Insist on it.

confusednorthner Wed 19-Apr-17 23:35:32

If the pain has eased / gone in morning do I still ask for one? Gp tonight said they won't investigate till he's had 3 to 4 attacks of this!

AnyFucker Wed 19-Apr-17 23:40:14

Your Gp is making a mistake.

Any episode of hip pain in a child of this age should be x rayed.

A SUFE can slip on and off for a while before it goes fully. Perthe's disease can also be episodic before the joint loses it's blood supply.

A simple x ray will rule both of those serious problems out.

fairgame84 Thu 20-Apr-17 06:48:31

I used to be a nurse in children's A&E. IMO your DS needs an x-ray.
I took DS to A&E when he first had irritable hip because he just woke up one morning in pain and not able to walk. They did an x-ray before diagnosing it. He then had 3 or 4 further episodes between the ages of 3 and 8 which always followed him having a cold.

Your DS is at the age where it could be something else and they should rule out more serious conditions before diagnosing irritable hip.
Your GP is talking crap.

confusednorthner Thu 20-Apr-17 13:30:10

Thanks all, we saw different gp earlier who was shocked they had diagnosed without X-ray so we are now back at hospital waiting to see someone.

fairgame84 Thu 20-Apr-17 15:51:19

That's good news. I hope everything is OK.

confusednorthner Fri 21-Apr-17 22:56:40

We were at hospital most of day and he's been x rayed and had bloods done which have showed nothing. Tomorrow we have a appointment to be reviewed and they mentioned possibly arranging a mri scan. Ds is still complaining it hurts, what's worrying me is he's now saying both hips hurt ad tonight has also mentioned his shin hurting.

fairgame84 Sat 22-Apr-17 07:53:02

Poor DS.
At least they are taking it seriously and investigating it properly now. I hope he feels better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now