Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bruise on chest (pic included) from unknown source - worth seeing GP ?

(16 Posts)
Starduke Wed 19-Apr-17 08:47:01

DS (5.5) has a bruise in the middle of his chest, just slightly off to the left-hand side since last Friday or Saturday (we can't remember).

No-one (including DS) remembers it happening.

It has a lump in it.

My mum is worried and thinks we should see a Dr but I'm not sure. He isn't complaining about it hurting (he makes a right fuss when something does hurt) and has no other recent symptoms (for the past 5 weeks he's been complaining about a tummy ache, but we had a scan for that and its swollen lymph nodes on his intestines - the pain has almost gone away).

If I go to the Dr with just a bruise, I'm afraid she'll think I'm a hypochondriac as we've been three times recently with DS's stomach and the last time we had blood tests which came back almost normal.

whifflesqueak Wed 19-Apr-17 08:49:20

that's quite big. I'm suprised he doesn't remember it happening.

sorry, I don't know if it's a GP issue. hopefully some good advice will be along soon.

Starduke Wed 19-Apr-17 08:55:54

Thanks, yes it is quite big - I remember seeing it one morning (Friday or Saturday) and asking him where it came from but he didn't know.

As I said, he makes a right fuss when he does hurt himself I was very surprised.

Overrunwithlego Wed 19-Apr-17 08:56:44

I would say yes. My dd had some unexplained bruising on her feet when she was a baby. Rang GP who said to bring her in straight away - was then referred directly to children's ward for blood tests. Turned out to be nothing more than a reaction to a virus, but they were concerned it could be something more serious in relation to a blood disorder. Bruising continued to develop whilst she was on the day ward - even so we did get a visit from ?sw or ?hv a day or two later just to check up on home situation, given the bruising.

DianaMitford Wed 19-Apr-17 08:59:08

Definitely Dr. They'd always rather see a child unnecessarily than miss something important through not seeing them.

Overrunwithlego Wed 19-Apr-17 08:59:31

Hmmm. Just seen your second post. So it's just a single bruise that's been there for a few days. Can you ring the GP for advice?

Vroomster Wed 19-Apr-17 14:52:47

Yes I would. It's quite a large bruise and in a more unusual place to not remember it happening.

Witchend Wed 19-Apr-17 20:02:26

I get bruises that I never know where they come from. If there's nothing more then I wouldn't worry.

EmilyDickinson Wed 19-Apr-17 20:12:02

Does he have bruises anywhere else? Can you check? When you say his bloods were almost normal what was abnormal about them?

I would definitely go back to the doctor. As previous posters have said they would always rather check with children. I find the fact that you've been several times before an additional reason to go actually.

Starduke Thu 20-Apr-17 11:40:45

Thanks everyone.

His bloods came back within the normal range except for "polynucleaires basophiles" (that's how it's spelt in French - no idea in English). That came back as 0 instead of the normal range of 20 to 120.

Google didn't help me at all!

He has other bruises but on his legs and associated with bumps

gamerchick Thu 20-Apr-17 11:42:27

I think I would take him. I would be concerned about a random bruise that doesn't hurt.

EmilyDickinson Thu 20-Apr-17 16:46:06

My French isn't that great but it seems that polynucleaires basophiles are a type of white blood cell. Low white blood cell count plus unexplained bruising definitely needs to be checked again. Please take him back to the doctor.

Starduke Thu 20-Apr-17 16:54:18

Thank you everyone.

Will phone the Dr :-)

MaryPoppinsPenguins Thu 20-Apr-17 16:57:16

I would definitely call the doctor, even if it's a waste of time it will have been worth it.

123bananas Thu 20-Apr-17 16:57:48

You need to take him to a GP asap. Low basophil count and further unexplained bruising needs more investigation.

EmilyDickinson Thu 20-Apr-17 17:04:26

The swollen lymph nodes could well be linked too (both white blood cells and lymph nodes are part of the immune system). Are you seeing the same doctor each time you go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now