Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 YO has sore tongue?

(8 Posts)
LONC2012 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:16:41

Hi all just after a bit of advice,

My 4 yo son, nearly 5 has started complaining the last 2 days of a sore tongue. I had a look and there seemed to be a tiny spot/ulcer down the side of his tongue. He was fussy with his tea but managed to eat a yoghurt and he said that it felt nice to eat.
In the morning I offered him breakfast and he again asked for a yoghurt.

He managed to eat his lunch and then at tea time he was eating beans and said he didn't want anymore because it was hurting his mouth and this time he pointed to a different part and it seems like he has these ulcers down both sides?

Before bed he was very upset and saying it was really hurting him. Gave him a bit of calpol and he had an ice pop to try and soothe it.

Thinking if it's still bad in the morning I'll take him to GP? I tried offering bonjela and my babies ambesol but he is having none of it. He has no spots on his hands/feet or around his mouth.

Haudyerwheesht Tue 18-Apr-17 22:17:46

Could it be hand foot and mouth?

LONC2012 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:21:46

He hasn't had a temp and there's nothing on his hands and feet? He's sleeping peacefully now so hopefully in the morning they will have gone. Nothing worse when your mouth is sore. He also said at one point that his tongue was itchy? I have never heard of an itchy tongue before haha x

highinthesky Tue 18-Apr-17 22:27:48

Could DS have burnt his tongue on hot food? In which case its going to heal fairly quickly.

If his tongue is white and furry, and his sense of taste is affected then it can be sorted with a tro to the pharmacy.

If not, it is likely to be painful ulcers and again will be self-limiting and there's no need to see a GP. See if he can manage to rinse his mouth out with salty water?

Keep an eye on his temperature, look for rashes, and anything else that seems out of character.

ChangedUsername123 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:36:13

Could it be Geographical Tongue? DS has it, it flares up occasionally but isn't usually too much problem

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/geographic-tongue

melmo26 Wed 19-Apr-17 06:49:56

Could it be oral thrush, when my 4yo was complaining of a sore tongue it was oral thrush, went to the pharmacy who gave me gel for her, she is a huge thumb sucker and that's what caused it

MsHippo Wed 19-Apr-17 07:09:02

Is that not just a mouth ulcer? If he's only had it for two days, has no other spots and is otherwise well, the GP seems rather unnecessary to me. Yes, they are sore especially if they are in a place that rubs against your teeth, but give plenty of ice and pain relief and they'll generally be self limiting.

LONC2012 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:47:34

Took him to the pharmacy and they have said to take him to see the GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now