Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vit B12 deficient

(7 Posts)
swanny1969 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:15:05

Hi my daughter is 13 - she has been complaining of all Sorts of ailments for ages which GP has passed off as aches and pains, bursitis, anxiety, behaviour problems.
Finally after a blood test is seems she is deficient in B12 and Folates - which, after reading up on shows many of the symptoms as the problems she has. Has anyone else's child had this? She is due to have a course of 5 injections over 10 days - but currently I feel so sorry for her as she is so tired she spends a lot of time asleep.
Thanks

Bebraveagain Mon 17-Apr-17 22:51:18

Hopefully they've checked the cause. Malabsorption or pernacious anaemia for example. What were her levels?

RedBugMug Mon 17-Apr-17 22:55:13

yes, back to checking cause. coeliac comes to mind...

justdontevenfuckingstart Mon 17-Apr-17 22:58:23

My DD1 and I are both pernicious, the coeliac they tested for first.

swanny1969 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:17:09

We are not sure of cause yet - her diet is quite bland she is a fussy eater eating chicken occasional red meat but no fish.
The gp is hoping they can test for coeliac on the bloods they took. I didn't ask her levels as I was in a state of shock when the gp rang. I kind of hoped there would be something wrong as she has been so unwell but not to this extent.
Will ask more on Wednesday when we see the nurse
Thanks

SteppingOnToes Mon 17-Apr-17 23:30:38

It sounds like it is probably diet related - B12 and folate are notoriously difficult to keep at adequate levels in a poor diet.

swanny1969 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:51:29

We can increase milk fortified cereals and yogurt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now