Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Upper back pain Hypermobility?

(7 Posts)
Mummytron Fri 14-Apr-17 02:24:22

Hi please help as I'm beside myself with worry. My son who is 11 has joint hypermobility syndrome and has 2 episodes of back ache/ pain this week. It's been at night and tonight it's woken him. I know that's a red flag so I'm terrified. He's under the doctors for knee pain at the moment but this is new so I'm really worried. Any advice please?

lizzieoak Fri 14-Apr-17 03:11:16

What's happening? Is it slipping out of place and pinching a nerve? I'm hypermobile & that happens to me and it's excruciating. I have to take strong pain killers and an anti-spasmodic drug & sometimes have to go to physio.

Red flag for what.

Mummytron Fri 14-Apr-17 09:07:25

He just says it aches and can't get comfy. Pain that wakes you up is s red flag for something serious isn't it?

NaiceBiscuits Fri 14-Apr-17 14:40:04

I have this condition. White Tiger Balm (not the red one) rubbed on the area helps relax the muscles. I usually take a single codeine on the first night only, which helps prevent/unlock a muscle spasm, but that's a prescription only thing and I don't know if children can take it.

NaiceBiscuits Fri 14-Apr-17 14:45:15

With hypermobility, pain is the norm. Growing pains often happen at night and are much more painful for hypermobile children. Waking up at night doesn't mean there's something seriously wrong, it just hurts really badly. It's more of a worry if the pain continues into the day. Calpol helps.

lizzieoak Fri 14-Apr-17 15:51:29

Depending how bad the pain is, moist heat can help. Have you found a good physiotherapist who is knowledgeable about hypermobility?

Mummytron Fri 14-Apr-17 20:59:33

Thanks all here's hoping for a better night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now