Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sticky eye

(10 Posts)
momoh94 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:43:33

Hi there,
I have an 11 week old still suffering from sticky eye. I know it's not an infection as it has been checked out by the GP. And it has improved over the weeks but I'm just curious as to when it will actually go. How old were your little ones when they disapperead?
Thanks...

Sunshineandlaughter Thu 13-Apr-17 15:39:34

Do you know mine had a bad eye for months - everyone said blocked tear duct but periodically it would test positive for bacteria and she'd get a short course of antibiotic eye drops for it which fixed it for a while then it came back. She also got loads of negative swabs from it. It only went properly when she got a course of oral antibiotics for something unrelated.

booellesmum Fri 14-Apr-17 21:22:51

If it is just watery rather than infected it is most likely because the tube from the tear duct to the nose is quite small in babies and prone to getting blocked. Sometimes massaging the side of the nose at the top can help to open it up.
Most babies grow out of it as they get bigger. If it persists past 12/18 months a syringe and probe can be done under general anaesthetic to open it up.
If you are concerned or it is persistently infected ask for a referral to an Ophthalmologist at your local eye clinic.

Kiwi32 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:25:06

My one year old still gets it when he's congested or teething. Never been infected or required any treatment beyond gentle cleaning with water and some cream on the sore skin (I find lanolin the best for him)

superram Fri 14-Apr-17 21:31:42

I found squirting breast milk helps-literally squirt it straight from boob. It worked so don't think it's an old wives tale.

momoh94 Tue 18-Apr-17 10:51:09

I was worried about being given antibiotics but the GP said the eye is not red and so not infected. I just hope she's right!

momoh94 Tue 18-Apr-17 10:52:32

@superram my mum said the exact same thing! I looked at her like hmm

booksandhearts Tue 18-Apr-17 11:10:46

my son had this for the first year of his life!, it was bathed with cooled boiled water each day as the doctor suggested but nothing made it better.
once he was up and about it just kind of stopped smile

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Apr-17 11:13:39

Boil water. Stir in 1tsp of salt per pint. Leave to cool. Bathe eyes. One piece of cotton wool per eye. Wipe from inside corner to outside.

AppleMagic Tue 18-Apr-17 11:19:54

Dc1 ten months
DC2 three/four months
DC3 five months and counting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now