Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this sunburn on my toddler's face or something else?

(9 Posts)
Crunchyside Wed 12-Apr-17 12:06:32

Despite applying factor 50 several times and trying to keep him in the shade, my nearly-3 year old got sunburnt cheeks at the weekend. The only thing is, it's turned blotchy and bumpy now, is this normal for sunburn or could it be something else? At first it looked very much like sunburn but now it's changed and I'm not sure.

The picture with the ice cream is what it looked like a couple of days ago, and the other two pictures are today.

(Yes he's got a bit of food grub round his mouth and is wearing my necklace in the second two pics...!)

dementedpixie Wed 12-Apr-17 12:10:45

Slapped cheek?

Jumbl Wed 12-Apr-17 12:17:19

A reaction to the sun cream probably.

N0tNowBernard Wed 12-Apr-17 12:18:51

Does he have any other symptoms?

Trottersindependenttraders Wed 12-Apr-17 12:21:59

DS is 5 and has had instances of spots like this for the last couple of years - always after his first exposure to the sun in the Spring. After the gloriously sunny weekend, he has it again and in his case I suspect it is either a reaction to the sun or the suncream. I've given him piriton and ibuprofen (not together!) over the past couple of days and it's now much less angry, just has a few spots under his skin.

Worth a phone call to your GP if you are worried to ask their advice.

Crunchyside Wed 12-Apr-17 12:56:31

Thanks. No other symptoms!

quencher Wed 12-Apr-17 13:08:11

I thought it might be slapped cheek syndrome

Do you use soapy wipes on her face? Dd's face sometimes look like that if I use it on her face.

Crunchyside Wed 12-Apr-17 13:12:57

Hmm I'm wondering if he's just got sensitive skin and maybe the sunburn had made it more sensitive to allergens than usual.

Slapped cheek doesn't seem likely as he seems otherwise pretty healthy, although the last few days he's been a bit more emotional/clingy than usual but no fever or anything.

ohnothisisme Wed 12-Apr-17 14:54:01

No idea sorry OP but he is a cutie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now