Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 week old with sniffles- when to worry?

(8 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Mon 10-Apr-17 16:41:12

My 3 week old daughter has caught a cold from my older toddler. It's fairly mild at the moment- occasional sneezing and her nose is a tiny bit runny/snuffly. She is also bringing some mucus when she spews after feeding. Her temperature is going between 36.6 and 37.3. Breastfeeding more than normal and a little sleepy but when she's awake, she's alert. What do I need to watch out for and at what point do I need to call the doctor? My gp has closed for the day, my local ooh isn't open until later in the evening and I don't live in the uk so we don't have a 111 service.

AltheaThoon Mon 10-Apr-17 22:21:07

My DS had a cold very early on. He was hospitalised at 7 weeks with bronchiolitis. I took him to the out of hours Dr when he was refusing to feed. That's a major sign that a baby's not well. At the hospital they pointed out that the skin under his ribs was sucking in when he breathed, though i hadn't noticed that.

The chances are that your baby will just have a sniffle and recover. Signs to see a Dr are if she struggles to breathe (sucking skin in between ribs or grunting), stops feeding or seems distressed. I'm not sure what temperature is regarded as high for a young baby but i think it's relatively low. I wouldn't let it get to 38 without seeing a Dr. But she's very young, so if at any point you think she needs to be seen, just take her to be on the safe side. Medical professionals never mind seeing babies.

Colds are rubbish at such a young age - it's so hard to comfort them.

AltheaThoon Mon 10-Apr-17 22:21:54

Also, have a look on the NHS website. There's usually good information on there.

Ilovefffffffridays Mon 10-Apr-17 22:22:34

My baby caught a cold at around 4 weeks - it's really worrying isn't it? I took him to GP who said there is nothing to worry about - as long as they are feeding, wet nappies keep feeding when baby wants and consider tilting head of Moses basket. Hope it passes soon.

amysmummy12345 Mon 10-Apr-17 22:23:06

Just what the above pp said. Have you any saline noise drops? Use them before feeding to clear the airways a little flowers congratulations by the way!!

amysmummy12345 Mon 10-Apr-17 22:23:44

Nose * not noise

HughLauriesStubble Mon 10-Apr-17 23:51:13

Thanks everyone 😁 She seems a bit better now so hopefully she will continue to improve but I'll be taking her to gp in the morning if she hasn't. I remember dc2 getting a cold at a fairly young age but she was 8 weeks so at least could have calpol to reduce temp, which is my main concern. So worrying when they are so tiny! confused

AltheaThoon Tue 11-Apr-17 22:09:47

So pleased to hear she's getting a bit better Hugh. You're right, it's such a worry when they're so young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now