Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do I need to get DS's potential broken finger checked out?

(8 Posts)
treeplan Mon 10-Apr-17 16:19:44

Just that really. I have put some tape around it and joined it to the next one, but that annoys him and he prefers it just without nothing. He isn't particularly using it and says it hurts, but can happily get on with his life. It's bruised though and a little bit swollen but not too bad.

Thanks.

PossumInAPearTree Mon 10-Apr-17 16:22:53

Yes, because if it's broken and heals out of line he could have problems for life. Unlikely but possible and for the sake of an X-ray not worth risking.

Concussedbanana Tue 11-Apr-17 08:50:38

Yep, when Ds damage his finger they x-rayed to ensure correct healing. Was surprised as excepted them to just tell me to strap it up.

ScarlettDarling Tue 11-Apr-17 08:53:21

Yes I'm afraid you do. If it's broken near a growth plate it could cause problems. Likewise if the bone sets incorrectly. Go get it x rayed.

mando12345 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:58:18

Agreed with others, this happened to my ds, I was advised by nurse on phone to definitely go to hospital for all the above reasons.

DancingLedge Tue 11-Apr-17 09:12:43

Yes. Took a DS to hospital after leaving Hurty finger strapped for a few days. Was told, mustn't strap this broken finger like I had, but differently. And told how long to keep strapped, because if not would end up needing to be pinned. And I used to be a nurse, but not worked orthopaedic.
So yes, minor injuries if you have one.

Twopeapods Tue 11-Apr-17 21:41:47

Take him. I broke my finger when I was 10 and it still hurts.
My mum never took me and just strapped it herself with tape. I couldn't move it at all and my whole finger was black and purple. I still haven't forgave her!

wheresthel1ght Tue 11-Apr-17 22:32:58

honestly, it depends how old he is. DSD accidently slammed DD's fingers in the car door when she was about 15 months - I am certain that at least 1 if not 2 of her fingers were broken. A&E refused to X-Ray as there is no treatment above what you have already done. If you are very worried or DS is very young, I would see your GP/Nurse Practitioner if you are very concerned.

The biggest thing to check for is that you can still feel a pulse and when you press on the nail and release it pinks up relatively quickly. If it does there is nothing to worry about, if it doesn't then get medical advice asap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now