Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hip dysplasia

(11 Posts)
jojomumstepmum Mon 10-Apr-17 13:27:07

Hello, just wondering if anyone's child has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia.
My daughter is 11 and after 3 years of pain and X-rays, and doctors thinking it was perthes disease we have been told it's hip dysplasia and all they need to do it break
The hip, reset it with pins and cast it!! Wtf! Literally couldn't believe my ears! And this is the best scenario! They are also concerned there is cartilage damage and if there is it's a difference story.

Is anyone else been through this? Xxx

Derekmorganwasinmybed Mon 10-Apr-17 13:31:55

My dd was 3 when she was diagnosed,she had her thigh broken and a bit of bone was used to make her new hip socket,was pit back together with pins and plates and was in a cast for 4 months

LordVoldemortsMissingNose Mon 10-Apr-17 13:42:18

I have hip dysplasia and had treatment in splints as a baby, however my issues where never addressed surgically. I was offered an osteotomy (what you've described) in my 20s but declined as the pain wasn't severe enough. I am now 36 and my mobility is limited to a degree, I can do all activities of daily living but can't walk much more than about 3-4 miles in a go. I have accepted this as my level of ability, I can't run at all due to pain but I don't feel limited by that particularly.

My hip sockets are incredibly shallow and my hips sublux easily. I am at risk of arthritis and I have chronic back pain as a result of malalignment. It's a tough call as the surgery is not nvasive and painful but the long term effects of doing nothing can be painful too.

LordVoldemortsMissingNose Mon 10-Apr-17 13:42:49

*IS invasive

RemoveAllPicturesOfRon Tue 11-Apr-17 11:28:38

We are going through this right now with our two year old; she had surgery last week and is now in a spica cast. No advice to offer, but lots of sympathy - there is no simple solution and lots of heartache! Sending good wishes

jojomumstepmum Tue 11-Apr-17 20:49:20

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it all.
I am just trying to get my head around it all. My daughter is starting secondary school in September and I am worried how this will put her back.
I think I know it's the right thing to do but I am really worried about her being put to sleep, let alone what they will actually do to her!
Pffffttt being a parent really is hard isn't it!!

chickenjalfrezi Tue 11-Apr-17 20:54:33

My DD was diagnosed at 7 weeks but not operated on until 3.5 years. It is so tough op but her prognosis was double hip replacements in the 20s so had to be done. Sounds like your daughter has to have it done too but her quality of life later will be so much better - bad hips are so debilitating. flowers for you x

RemoveAllPicturesOfRon Wed 12-Apr-17 10:36:58

Do you know about Steps? They are a charity who support all types of lower limb issues; it might be worth getting in touch. Their website is www.steps-charity.org.uk

babyapple Wed 12-Apr-17 10:46:33

Hey there, I've had it done as a child, was in a cast for about 3 months when I was 6 years old. Subsequently I've taken both my girls as newborns to an orthopedist and insisted on hip braces so hoping that has sorted them out. I am in pain more often than not, have been since about age 25 and if it happened to my kids today I would initially go down the Osteopath/Chiropractor/Physio route before agreeing to any kind of surgery. Good luck for your little girl x

flutterby77 Thu 13-Apr-17 04:25:14

My daughter was diagnosed at 3. She had her hip joint rebuilt and also a femoral osteotomy. I'm sorry your daughter was diagnosed so late. She runs and jumps and is generally a happy and active 5 year old now but the surgery and casting is a bitch. Expect a very long surgery, my daughter was under from 9am and we got her back at 4pm.

jojomumstepmum Sun 16-Apr-17 18:15:55

Babyapple...

What can they do with regards physio/ osteopath etc? I am so confused by this. I am confused by this all, the way I had it explained was that it's the shape
Of the hip socket that is wrong so physio won't make a lasting difference? Is this not true.

I am going to call addenbrookes on Tuesday as I do have private for her so could speed up the MRI scans etc and also will give a second opinion

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now