Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Spots in toddler from a cold? (Pic)

(11 Posts)
SpottyBoy Sun 09-Apr-17 20:15:23

Hi have nc due to posting pic. Sorry is best pic I could get of DS (2.5). He has constant runny nose (always coldy). I picked him up from nursery on Thursday and he had all these spots under his nose, some with little whiteheads. They looked worse next day so I kept him at home. They've now spread a bit to his cheeks and up to forehead. There are absolutely none anywhere else on his body. He has already had chickenpox, albeit mildly.
I can see how constant snot would aggravate skin, but can't see a reason for the spots spreading. Kids can sometimes get acne can't they. Any ideas? Thank you!

MrsLettuce Sun 09-Apr-17 20:22:46

My DS has a tendency to get eczema type spottiness when he's been very snotty for a while but that doesn't quite look like this.

It does look quite a lot like the beginnings of impetigo to me though, TBH. Can't be sure of course. Maybe best to check with a pharmacist / the GP.

EccentricPickle Sun 09-Apr-17 20:23:35

I was going to say impetigo too,

EccentricPickle Sun 09-Apr-17 20:24:07

Grr, I meant to put a full stop not comma.

SpottyBoy Sun 09-Apr-17 20:34:47

Ahhhh. Both good suggestions. He did use to get patches of eczema as a baby - haven't seen anything for a while - and have now googled impetigo. Hard to say. Location-wise, yes. But doesn't (yet) have the burst-blister appearance... trip to GP tomorrow. Thank you!

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 09-Apr-17 20:35:49

Maybe hand, foot and mouth?

MrsLettuce Sun 09-Apr-17 20:44:43

Hand, foot and mouth, yes. I'm sure my DC had trouble eating (blisters in the mouth) before they had spots elsewhere but I'm not certain and also don;t know if that's a typical presentation of HFM.

Impetigo absolutely did start with spot-like spots. Is often not recognized until the blistery stage but if you get the treatment in early it clears before it gets that bad.

SpottyBoy Sun 09-Apr-17 21:01:55

Thank you so much for further replies. Camping outside GP first thing tomorrow to get an appointment. Really glad I asked on here - I had dismissed impetigo as it hasn't blistered but good to know it may well be that, just not developed, and good to catch early.

MrsLettuce Sun 09-Apr-17 21:39:25

Good luck. Hope it clears up swiftish, whatever it turns out to be.

SpottyBoy Mon 10-Apr-17 12:03:56

Update: we now have a course of antibiotics for.... impetigo!! Apparently too far progressed to treat just with cream (argh! My parenting instincts are always so far off, I never catch any of these things before it's too far along). Oh well, thank you all v v much for your help!

MrsLettuce Mon 10-Apr-17 12:24:43

Don't feel bad, it's nothing to do with instinct! It's simply a case of having seen it before or not, a lot of people don't think to see the GP until it's a nasty thick crust the first time it hits. If he ever gets it again you'll recognise is straight away, I'm sure of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now