Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Funnel chest, sunken chest,

(4 Posts)
Fluffpuff Sun 09-Apr-17 18:51:09

Anyone's child have a sunken chest (medical term pectus excavatum). My 16yr old ds has a sunken chest on one side. Only became apparent about 1.5 years ago after a big growth spurt. He's ok with it and it doesn't affect his health but I wondered if anyone has experience of the nuss procedure which is an operation to push the chest out?

Tanaqui Wed 19-Apr-17 19:16:49

Apparently ds does (noticed when he had an ecg so a surprise!), no one has mentioned doing anything about it and it doesn't seem to be causing a problem. Was worried it would affwt his confidence as the dr called it a deformity, but seems okay thank goodness!

theITgirl Wed 19-Apr-17 19:23:23

DD (13) has one as well. She had had an ecg but there are no health concerns so she will have to live with it.
She is self-concious about it, however we have found a nice bikini where it is not too obvious.
Hopefully when boobs appear it will be even less obvious.
Meanwhile I do my best to reassure her, say that is part of her and nothing wrong with it etc

scaredofthecity Wed 19-Apr-17 19:30:38

www.thecomet.net/news/i-think-about-her-every-day-stevenage-mum-publishes-book-about-her-teenage-daughter-s-final-days-after-chest-operation-went-wrong-1-4255991

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now