Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox - WWYD

(7 Posts)
Solero Sun 09-Apr-17 18:08:34

Was looking for some other opinions as I am not sure what to do. Eldest DD, 6, is just getting over chicken pox (10 days passed first spot lol). Despite our expectations our youngest DD, 3, is not really showing any signs. She is due to go swimming tomorrow morning. She missed last week's lesson as I didn't have anyone to look after eldest but I am umming and ahhing as to whether to take her this week either just in case she is contagious. I wouldn't want the other kids going down with it. Or do I feign ignorance and go? I am going to phone the pool in the morning to see what their policy is but was just wondering WWYD. I just worry that if she does go down with she'll miss at least another week, may be even two weeks of her lessons. Am so torn.

dementedpixie Sun 09-Apr-17 19:41:11

Incubation period is 10-21 days. I would continue as normal until she shows signs of it

SharonStrzelecki Sun 09-Apr-17 19:51:20

Yes I'd send her if no spots have appeared. My DD didn't catch it when her older brother had it, so it's not a given that she will definitely come down with it.

Twopeapods Sun 09-Apr-17 22:24:56

I would probably send her if she has no symptoms of illness. Before my DDs got it they had a fever and headache and just virally before the spots came out. She might not get it for another week so would not be contagious. She might be one of the lucky ones that don't get it at all!

MsComplicated Sun 09-Apr-17 22:34:19

I wouldnt personally.

My DC has a disability leading her really prone to infections and something like chicken pox could end up with her in hospital on IVs. They are most infectious before the spots and she has been exposed to CP.

dementedpixie Sun 09-Apr-17 22:40:16

Yes but the incubation period is up to 3 weeks. You can't quarantine for 3 weeks after every exposure. They are contagious for 1-2 days before spots appear until they crust over

Starlight2345 Sun 09-Apr-17 22:46:39

yes I would.. You can't keep children in on the possibility they might get it..

My DS was exposed to it several times before he got it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now