Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Extremely reluctant 11 year old wont go to drs

(15 Posts)
Ibelieveicanfry Sun 09-Apr-17 17:10:49

I think my DS11 has an issue with his testicles. However he REFUSES to go to the doctor about it. Says he will run off and just won't go. How do I get him there? I'm at the point of considering faking a letter from the doctor saying he needs vaccinations simply to be him in the consultation room. Any advice or experience anyone?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:12:13

You are his parent therefore he will do as he is told unfortunately. .
He is a child - it's not negotiable.

Ibelieveicanfry Sun 09-Apr-17 17:16:27

I have taken that line - but he is absolutely steadfast and it would almost definitely mean both of his parents man handling him in and holding him down. Obviously I don't want to do that as it would be traumatic for him (and us!)

rizlett Sun 09-Apr-17 17:21:16

will he consider looking online to see what the problem might be? and to see what the consequences might be from not going for advice.

would he consider speaking to someone at 111?

is there a minor injuries drop in centre near you that he might consider attending?

what are his reasons for not going?

maybe there isnt anything wrong with them?

(please don't fake a letter - he will never trust you again.)

SafeToCross Sun 09-Apr-17 17:34:27

Give him some choices - male or female doctor, you there or not, his dad there or not, you talking to the doctor first to see if it needs checking out (ie getting him some more facts first). The only non-negotiable is that he has to choose one, and give him a deadline for choosing. Maybe his dad could talk to him about how to handle such visits.

SlB09 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:36:34

Do you think its a serious issue or something to just get checked out? There are online GP appointment companies now that can do over skype, or would even that be too much for him?

myoriginal3 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:37:07

What issues

Oldmum55 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:25:09

Get his dad to have a chat with him to find out what the problem seems to be, as a man he may well be able to reassure him that he's perfectly normal. At that age he may prefer to see a male doctor and I would encourage his dad to take him, making it an all boys matter.

Fairylea Sun 09-Apr-17 18:27:17

Bribery? iTunes card? Whatever he's interested in.

user1471558436 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:36:42

Can you phone the GP and explain and ask what normally happens. Say how nervous your son is and you can't seem to get him to the surgery

artisanroast Sun 09-Apr-17 18:41:58

I'm with user. Phone the GP. They may phone and discuss the importance of him seeing them, directly with him. They will have had this problem before and will no doubt be very helpful.

user1491806480 Mon 10-Apr-17 07:50:04

Ya, it is better to phone the GP and ask them to help you.

3luckystars Mon 10-Apr-17 07:54:14

The doctor might do a house call?

Bugsylugs Mon 10-Apr-17 07:59:28

Why do you think there is something wrong?

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 10-Apr-17 08:04:44

What are the symptoms? I would phone the surgery and ask for advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: