Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dual heritage children - sun cream

(6 Posts)
Warkboy Sun 09-Apr-17 10:12:49

We're fostering two under tens who are half South Asian and a quarter each white and African Caribbean. Their colouring is essentially South Asian. Can anyone give some advice on what factor sun cream would be appropriate? Our default so far has been to put factor 50 on everyone.

pitterpatterrain Sun 09-Apr-17 10:14:44

We use factor 50 on our DC, think my SIL also uses factor 50

Berthatydfil Sun 09-Apr-17 10:15:17

I'm not an expert but if they have naturally darker skin would factor 50 be too high as it would prevent vitamin d formation ?

pitterpatterrain Sun 09-Apr-17 10:35:15

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015/apr/16/beauty-for-dark-skin-guide-to-wearing-suncream

pitterpatterrain Sun 09-Apr-17 11:01:02

Not sure about vitamin D but I think it doesn't take that long to form the daily allowance (more in the range of minutes) vs the increased risk of skin damage etc

BarbarianMum Mon 10-Apr-17 10:27:06

My children have 50% Mediterranean heritage. I only use sunscreen on their faces in April and August and then only if they are outside half day or more. May, June, July factor 30 b/ w 10am and 4pm for half plus day outside if really hot, but will also use hats and shade. Have never use factor 50 even in the tropics last summer, just factor 30, hard, shade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now