Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Eczema, ringworm or something else?

(21 Posts)
NotTheBelleoftheBall Sat 08-Apr-17 19:39:56

DD (6 months old) has an ongoing dry patch on her back and another near her ear. I presumed it was eczema (I had it as a child) so douse it regularly in Aveeno which seems to take the edge off though the patches never disappear completely.

But today I realised that both patches are quite circular and so I'm concerned it could be ringworm (see picture below, it's not usually that red, the photo was taken immediately post bath)...

What do you think?

NotTheBelleoftheBall Sat 08-Apr-17 19:41:06

Each patch is about the size of a 50p coin.

billybigballs Sat 08-Apr-17 19:44:45

That looks like eczema to me OP, DS suffers from it.

Definitely not ringworm imo which is very circular and has a space in the middle.

Note3 Sat 08-Apr-17 19:47:15

It could be early ringworm. When ringworm first firms it begins as a dry patch of skin then gradually as it develops it forms a dark circle around the outside of the patch and often the inside of the ring is lighter in colour than normal skin.

Do you have a cat or dog? If so it increases the likelihood it's ringworm.

Note3 Sat 08-Apr-17 19:47:34

*forms not firms

Note3 Sat 08-Apr-17 19:49:03

Having looked at your pic again it looks more oval than circular (ringworm really does look like a ring). Think you're ok at its not that

Sunshineandlaughter Sat 08-Apr-17 19:54:31

I'd say early ringworm - it starts as a patch then spreads out like that to form a ring. Try daktarin cream from pharmacy/boots.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Sat 08-Apr-17 20:00:53

Thanks everyone! If it's early ringworm 🐛 would it have come to fruition already (she's had it for over a month, sometimes better, sometimes like this, but always there)?

No cats or dogs in the house (sadly).

Note3 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:21:13

Yep if ringworm after a month it would definately have formed a ring by now (I've had it three times!!)

NotTheBelleoftheBall Mon 10-Apr-17 16:34:38

Note3 you are now an authority in ringworm! What an accolade!! 😘

I think it is just a mild case of mummyoverthinkingitis which is most deadly at night when the go is closed and I only have Dr Google for company.

Redrosesandwhitedaisys Mon 10-Apr-17 17:38:52

I get that too grin

Note3 Mon 10-Apr-17 20:34:49

Pah haha...it is a truly shocking situation isn't it grin I'm still treating my third dose as we speak...suspect the bloody cat as I've only just cleared one random patch and then this appeared. Going to have to book a vets appointment so they can shine their uv light all over for the stuff...he's lucky I love him (the cat that is...not the vet!)

Eppia Mon 10-Apr-17 20:39:01

It definitely looks like a patch of eczema to me. DC is a long-term eczema sufferer. The only thing that works in my experience is Epaderm. Brilliant stuff; it's worth a try if the Aveeno isn't clearing it.

Redrosesandwhitedaisys Mon 10-Apr-17 20:40:26

Note make sure you wash your towels and bedding on really hot after each use - you could be reinfecting yourself

Nospringflower Mon 10-Apr-17 20:44:17

I would take her to the doctors / pharmacists because if it is eczema that isnt clearing then she is likely to need hydrocortisone to clear it and then use a good moisturiser to try to keep it away. Eczema is really really itchy and uncomfortable for most people so it's unfair to just leave her with it.

TeaBelle Mon 10-Apr-17 20:48:51

Sorry to jump in but dd (2) has simillar - can the pharmacist give hydrocortisone as aveeni etc isn't touching it? I don't mind paying but can't get a gp appointment

NotTheBelleoftheBall Mon 10-Apr-17 22:07:47

Nospring She doesn't seem bothered by it, mind you she did rub her ear patch a bit the other day... pharmacist suggested Aveeno, she's got an unrelated doc appt tomorrow, I'll ask the doc what s/he thinks. Thanks all.

I get eczema on my hands and it's pretty much cleared up at the moment (I think it's seasonal, depending on humidity +/- central heating) so hopefully DD's patches will clear up too.

Note3 Tue 11-Apr-17 10:40:03

Red roses - thanks did wash bedding but suspect only on 30 so will have to redo!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 11-Apr-17 10:42:21

Is she getting a rash or spots anywhere else.

It looks a bit like a "herald patch"

NotTheBelleoftheBall Tue 11-Apr-17 16:23:11

I'd never head of a Herald Patch Giles - I'll keep an eye out for any more spots!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 11-Apr-17 16:34:43

If she does then she may have pitiriasis rosea starts off with the herald patch and then am all over rash..

Eczema preferable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now