Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any problem giving high dose of B12 to a 14 year old?

(5 Posts)
loveyouradvice Sat 08-Apr-17 13:52:44

Hi ... I have a teenager who feels unwell a lot of the time, tired, foggy brain .... but well enough to go to school, see mates most of the time, etc.... We're trying various things - such as finding out if she is wheat intolerant...and I'm quite keen to try her with a B12 patch which has really boosted my energy. You put one on every 4 days or so. Is there any problem with overdoing it?

Oldmum55 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:10:44

First of all has she seen the GP and has she had blood tests done? This is the first step, she could be low in iron (quite common in teens) or thyroid, diabetes, celiac, ME etc. I wouldn't give her any supplements until you know what's causing her to feel tired and unwell.

SlB09 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:21:37

Get levels tested prior to administrating anything! Don't risk adverse effects on your child, and don't dismiss placebo effect for yourself with the patch. I'm all for taking responsibility for our own health, wellbeing and common sense, but within reason. If shes ill enough for you to be concerned then get her checked out by a doctor.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 09-Apr-17 21:21:53

No there shouldn't be any issues, any excess should come out via wee. we give the b12 injections and we had no issues.

Sunshineandlaughter Sun 09-Apr-17 22:14:23

I'd also go and get blood tests done - very quick and easy and you get the results in a few days.
Ask them to include vitamin d levels

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now