Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 weeks old conjunctivitis

(4 Posts)
Blessedwithboys Mon 03-Apr-17 20:50:44

My beautiful new baby boy had a tiny bit of discharge in his eye last Thursday . When the health visitor came she said to carry on as I was doing, putting breast milk in his eye and cleaning with cooled boiled water from the inside out. By the next day his eye was swollen and gunky. I took him to my GP who prescribed him eye drops to put in 4 times a day and said to use in both eyes if it spread. Sure enough the next day xxxxx(Saturday) it was in both eyes. I've been applying the drops religiously 4 times a day but it doesn't seem to be getting much better. They're not swollen anymore but still very gunky. I've kept cleaning them with boiled water but I don't want to irritate them anymore. I rang the G.P again today but his swabs still aren't back. Does anyone have any tips or know how long the drops usually take to work?

Sunshineandlaughter Wed 05-Apr-17 07:34:42

The drops should be working by now. Take him back to GP - maybe a different one. Newborn conjunctivitis can be quite serious
www.gosh.nhs.uk/medical-information/search-medical-conditions/conjunctivitis

Blessedwithboys Wed 05-Apr-17 21:27:27

Thank you I will do. It seems to be nearly gone now but better safe then sorry.

Sunshineandlaughter Thu 06-Apr-17 10:58:57

That's good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now