Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

High fever 38.3 after chicken pox in toddler

(29 Posts)
Foreverhopeful22 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:18:18

She is 21 months. She has chicken pox two weeks ago they started coming out the have all scabbed over.

Majority have started to disappear. This evening she has a random high temp 38.3 I have given calpol. She has been happy all day not eating much but seemed happy. Drinking lots.

About 5.30 she became really upset .

She seems happy now and drinking bottle but still really high temp, it won't come down at all

Any ideas ???

gamerchick Sat 01-Apr-17 19:20:53

It's not horrendous don't worry. If it goes over 40 and you can't get it down then worry.

Just keep her fluids up, keep her cool and give her a dose of painkiller when she's due.

BarbarianMum Sat 01-Apr-17 19:53:19

Do you have any child's ibruprofen? I always found that better at bringing down fevers. 38.3 is not alarmingly high but I'd keep an eye on it in case it goes any higher. I'd also give her a quick once over to check no spots have become infected. If they have, go seek medical attention.

Foreverhopeful22 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:59:21

I was told no ibuprofen with chicken pox as it is extremely dangerous .

Hence only calpol.

She is asking for bed and I'm reluctant to take her up. Which is upsetting her more as her bed time is always 7pm. And she is very tired rubbing eyes.

Foreverhopeful22 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:00:21

She keeps standing at stairgate saying "bow bow" which is bed . Oh crap I don't know what to do

Inmyownlittlecorner Sat 01-Apr-17 20:01:22

My DD ended up with pneumonia & a UTI about 3/4 weeks after chicken pox. Just keep an eye on the temp & ring the ooh if you're concerned. Hope your lo feels better soon.

Frouby Sat 01-Apr-17 20:03:50

Could you take her up and let hwr go to sleep and keep checking on her. Then transfer her to your bed when you go up?

Ds has pox atm. Luckily he hasn't really been poorly with it but if he is ever ill I let him go up when it's bedtime, have my tea then go up myself and pop him in with me. It's easier to check on them and settle them again if they are poorly in the night.

gamerchick Sat 01-Apr-17 20:04:50

Put her to bed. She'll be ok, just keep an eye on her.

Foreverhopeful22 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:05:11

Frouby- I couldn't put her in our bed as I'm a roller .... she would get squished.

Other than the floor in her room I'm not seeing many alternatives .

RedBugMug Sat 01-Apr-17 20:05:43

chicken pox weaken the immune system, so she probably has got an infection on top of the pox.
agree with previous poster: keep an eye on her, offer plenty to drink and give paracetamol when she's miserable.
and yes to no ibuprofen until the pox are all healed.

Natsku Sat 01-Apr-17 20:14:48

Keep giving the paracetemol and maybe move her mattress to the floor in your room? But 38.3 isn't too high so need to worry unless she becomes lethargic and you can't rouse her. Just let her rest, that's the best medicine for her now.

BarbarianMum Sat 01-Apr-17 20:14:59

Apologies for suggesting ibruprofen. Advice has clearly moved on since mine had it. blush

Frouby Sat 01-Apr-17 20:19:47

Ah sorry. Either her mattress on your floor, or maybe even on your bed so she is higher up than you so you can't squish her? Or set your alarm for every couple of hours and check her then.

Foreverhopeful22 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:35:11

I've taken her up as she was very upset and starting to let on floor by stairs. She is a 12 hour sleeper so she never makes it passed 7.30 usually.

I'm glued to the monitor. I check her temp again at midnight and give calpol again but if it's still 38 or above we are going to a&e, probably an over reaction but I don't care I worried beyond belief.

She drank 8oz of milk tonight.

Thank you for your suggestions. So much a MASSIVE thank you

gamerchick Sat 01-Apr-17 20:38:43

Honestly this is not an a&e worthy thing. 38 is not a stupidly high temp.

Why would you take her to a&e on a Saturday night and expose her to all sorts? Just let her go to bed and sleep. confused

Foreverhopeful22 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:39:58

Gamer - I completely agree I'm just worried sick

ShowOfHands Sat 01-Apr-17 20:42:23

38 is a mild fever and she doesn't need Calpol unless she's in pain or discomfort. It is not an A&E job at all. You need to monitor her, yes but you are unnecessarily panicking.

EyeStye Sat 01-Apr-17 20:45:41

I'm totally confused as why you wouldn't put a sick child to bed and kept her up? Rest is the best thing for her!

gamerchick Sat 01-Apr-17 20:45:51

I know, I've had 3 all up now well past that age but I remember the stress of temps.

If they're drinking, rouse when you prod them and plenty of wet nappies then it's all good. If her temp hovers where it is then don't worry, if it climbs and you can't get it down then reassess. You'll know if she's out of sorts far beyond her usual. Nothing what you've said sounds alarming right now. flowers

Foreverhopeful22 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:46:39

Showodhands- I am panicking . I know I'm stupid for doing so.

I just can't help it , you hear horror stories and I'm just worried - sorry

But I am grateful for the advice

EyeStye Sat 01-Apr-17 20:47:27

just seen the A and E post - if the temp is the only symptom it's totally crazy overreaction. Let her sleep! Sleep on floor in her room it's a normal fever temperature!

Foreverhopeful22 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:47:34

Eyesty - just so I could monitor her

Gamer - thank you

EyeStye Sat 01-Apr-17 20:53:30

Let her rest and sleep close. Can you make a bed on her floor?

ButtonLoon Sat 01-Apr-17 20:57:57

My DD (now 6) has fevers that go up to 40 (and don't respond much to paracetamol) and we've never been to A&E. Call 111 if you're worried.

Natsku Sat 01-Apr-17 21:13:05

Please don't panic and take her to A&E if the only symptom is fever. DD always gets fevers of at least 40 when she is, sometimes 41, and the doctors have always said the temperature doesn't matter, its how they feel that matters so if they're managing ok - drinking and weeing, then its alright to treat at home, and only to worry if they aren't drinking or weeing or get lethargic. This has happened so many times that I've learnt to really not worry about fevers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now