Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9 year old and only lost 6 baby teeth

(18 Posts)
MissAdaSmith Sat 01-Apr-17 12:08:39

DD is 9 and has lost 4 teeth at the lower and 2 at the upper jaw. that was about 1-2 years ago. since then nothing.

I wasn't worried until a friend said yesterday that this is rather unusual.

Is it really?

exexpat Sat 01-Apr-17 12:13:49

My DCs both lost their teeth late, despite being big for their ages - at 9, DD could have been taken for a 13-year-old, apart from the gap-toothed smile. She is now 14 and I think lost the last one or two last year.

There is a wide age range for losing teeth, and 9 is later than average but still normal. If you are at all worried, ask your dentist.

SenoritaViva Sat 01-Apr-17 12:15:14

I lost my first tooth age 8. Then was slow. Teeth fine now (age 40)

AnoiseAnnoysanOyster Sat 01-Apr-17 22:57:36

I was still losing teeth as a teenager.

Ebb Sun 02-Apr-17 12:14:27

My nearly 9yo has only lost about 6. His new teeth come up behind his baby teeth so he never looks gappy!

underneaththeash Sun 02-Apr-17 22:32:35

I lost my last baby tooth at 14 and have no fillings and my teeth are pretty good. Nothing to worry about.

inspiredbutohsotired Sun 02-Apr-17 22:35:24

I lost my first at about 6 but it was very slow! Only about 1 or 2 a year. Last 4 had to be pulled put at 14 as they were refusing to budge... I was NOT happy as the adult teeth didn't come through fully until I was 17 - I had a gappy smile for 3 years!!!
Don't worry about it, strong teeth are a good thing! I'm an adult and have no fillings and straight teeth now so I'm rather happy I was a late developer (in the tooth regard) grin

ImLadybird Sun 02-Apr-17 22:46:24

We're the opposite but I'm here to say my dentist just said last week that they vary soooo much. DS is 9 and has lost all of his baby teeth already. He's got 28 of his adult teeth!

Roomba Sun 02-Apr-17 23:43:51

I lost my first tooth age 8. Then was slow. Teeth fine now (age 40)

Me too - word for word!

DS1 had only lost 6 or 7 at age 9, he's only just starting to lose back ones now at 11. Dentist says his teeth are just fine.

HateSummer Sun 02-Apr-17 23:49:28

I think it all depends on how quickly their baby tooth came. My dd got her first tooth aged 15m and was still erupting her molars aged 2, so I'd expect them to fall out later aswell. She's 9 now and has only lost 6 teeth aswell.

Ledehe Mon 03-Apr-17 10:48:16

I lost my first baby tooth at 7. Last one at 15. 1st Wisdom tooth started erupting at 29, its still part of the way out at 32.

Didn't get first baby tooth until i was 10 months.

Smallangryplanet Mon 03-Apr-17 10:54:13

Ask your dentist to take an x-ray to check things over. My ds lost teeth and then spent ages with gaps whilst the new ones came through. My df's son lost his much later and his gaps were filled almost immediately.

For what it's worth I still have milk teeth and there aren't any adult teeth to come through.

Bluntness100 Mon 03-Apr-17 10:56:22

I lost my last one at 28 when I was pregnant and needed to get a crown in. Seriously. I can't remember about my daughter but think she was about 12. I wouldn't worry, just ask the dentist.

FortyFacedFuckers Mon 03-Apr-17 11:04:18

My ds is 11 and has only lost 2 of them were lost last week. I asked his dentist as I had noticed all of his friends seemed to have all their big teeth but my dentist said the later the better to get big teeth!

Nellooo Mon 03-Apr-17 11:11:14

I've a 7yo who has only lost the centre two lower teeth. Most of his friends have lost many more and have gobs full of big teeth. I asked the dentist and she said its nothing to worry about. They lose and grow teeth at very different rates.

elQuintoConyo Mon 03-Apr-17 11:17:41

I had 4 milk teeth left at 11yo, 1st two sets of molars next to canines top and bottom, and had them all pulled. 4 under gas, 4 with injection. This was wayyyyyyy back in the early 90s, happy to see they are just leaving them as is now. The gas was scary - they were panicking that I wasn't coming around shock and the 4 with injection made me faint twice, i was so scared.

Dentist said the roots of my baby teeth weren't dissolving, even though my big teeth were there - but not pushing the babies out. It was stalemate!

In other news, just-5Yo DS has lost two bottom middle teeth and has big ones coming in already! I am brushing them like a crazy person grin

silkpyjamasallday Mon 03-Apr-17 13:20:27

I think it is within the normal range, my DB was slower losing his teeth than me and hadn't lost all of his by the end of primary school, and I had a school friend who hadn't lost any by year six. I felt bad for her as she had missed out on many a payment from the tooth fairy! I wouldn't be worried, he probably just has excellently strong milk teeth!

MissAdaSmith Mon 03-Apr-17 13:49:19

thanks all. seems we are not that unusual then. have a dentist's appointments soon and will mention it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now