Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hurting arm a year after breaking it

(7 Posts)
StrawberryJamPlease Sat 01-Apr-17 10:09:02

DS broke his arm last year (greenstick fracture). He has recently been complaining that it hurts again.

Where should I be taking him? The Drs or Minor Injury Unit?

Is it possible he's hurt it again (it's not constant pain like before) or will he always have occasional pain?

Thanks for any advice

lljkk Sat 01-Apr-17 10:37:48

Is it just a once a day moan or like several times an hour?
It doesn't make sense that a year later it suddenly pangs again b/c of the original (only greenstick) fracture. Unless you know he mangled some tendons or ligaments at the time, too (soft tissue injuries can pang again forever).

Probably it's a new unrelated injury (some kind of bruising?))

StrawberryJamPlease Sat 01-Apr-17 10:54:00

Thanks. It was a straightforward fracture I think with no tissue damage mentioned. He's been complaining daily for the past fortnight. And he's not usually a complainer (no sick days from school at all and in yr 3), which is why I'm wondering if I should do something.

There was no one thing that he did a fortnight ago (that I can remember) that triggered it. I obviously don't want to waste NHS resources if it's just something that will always "ache", but I don't want to not take him if it is something.

zen1 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:57:50

If he's been complaining about it for 2 weeks and it has previously been okay following the initial injury, I would definitely take him to the GP to get it checked out. It might be something unrelated.

StrawberryJamPlease Sat 01-Apr-17 11:15:44

Thanks. So I should go to the GP. Would they just not send us to minor injuries to be X-rayed?

lljkk Sat 01-Apr-17 13:01:26

If it were me (not saying my choice is only right choice), I would wait & see. It doesn't sound like it's incapacitating him in any way. If it gets worse or he starts not being able to do stuff, then see a GP.

StrawberryJamPlease Sat 01-Apr-17 14:27:26

Thanks. That's my thoughts on it really. He's still using it, so I think I'll wait and see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now