Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Glasses for DD on NHS how does it work?

(14 Posts)
SkiBike007 Sat 01-Apr-17 08:47:11

My DD (9) had first pair of glasses about 18mths ago and had one lens change in the frames last year. I was asked to pay £30, but assumed NHS covered them? The arms never tightened properly kept being loose we went back several times to have them tightened. The arm screw finally fell out this wk after visiting opticians again on Monday to be tightened. Can she get another set of frames under the NHS or do I pay for them? The opticians is never very clear on it! I've looked on NHS website and it just says entitled to a voucher but not how often.

EskSmith Sat 01-Apr-17 08:50:43

You are entitled to a new pair when the prescription changes and free repair/replacement.
Your optician doesn't sound great Tbh.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Sat 01-Apr-17 08:51:08

I've always just been to Specsavers and they handle it - they give you a form to fill in to show qualification - but it will only cover frames up to a certain value, so make sure you know which frames to stick to if you don't want to pay extra. Specsavers will give you two which is handy for clumsy children.

I think you can get a new pair whenever the prescription warrants it.

ProfYaffle Sat 01-Apr-17 08:51:27

Whenever we get glasses for dd2, the optician usually has a limited number of frames that are free on the nhs. Then there's a larger group which are still nhs subsidised but attract a fee (usually more attractive, designer type frames) We normally pay about £30 for dd's frames.

We've replaced them in the past because the frame broke rather than her needing a new prescription and it was fine, same as above with no mention of a limit on how often you can buy kids frames.

We replaced one of her lenses recently because it was scratched and that was free.

Sirzy Sat 01-Apr-17 08:52:25

What was the £30 for? Unless it was an expensive deisgner pair then they should have been free with the voucher

oldwife Sat 01-Apr-17 08:52:27

I thought they were free up to a certain price point.

DS wore glasses from the age of 10. His firdt couple of pairs were free but if he wanted frames from the more pricey ranges then I paid a supplement. If he broke them they were repaired foc. This was at specsavers - perhaps some opticians charge differently?

His eyes were tested annually with a new prescription most years.

Penfold007 Sat 01-Apr-17 08:56:57

DCs wear glasses. I found Boots Opticians unhelpful and expensive so tried Specsavers and been very pleased with them. Try a different optician, DC should get a voucher every time they get a new prescription.

booellesmum Sat 01-Apr-17 08:57:30

The NHS voucher will cover the cost if the lenses. This does not include thinning, coating or tints - unless a tint is needed for medical reasons.
It will also cover the cost of a basic frame. You will have to pay a bit more if you pick a frame that is not in the free range.
The optician should repair/ replace glasses for a 12 month period. This will be free if the glasses were free, but there will be a charge if you paid towards them initially or they were a second pair.
If you are not happy with the fit go back. Children's glasses should be fitted correctly with particular attention to how they sit behind the ears.
I would try somewhere else if you are not happy.

hugoagogo Sat 01-Apr-17 08:58:34

For years I took ds to nice opticians and always had to pay some contribution and thought it was normal. Then took him to specsavers- it was a revelation two pairs totally free! A great choice of frames too.

booellesmum Sat 01-Apr-17 08:59:13

Also adding you do not have to get the glasses from where you are tested. The voucher is yours and you can take it to any optician you like.

Astro55 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:02:21

You shouldn't be their eyes checked every 6 months - to a year.

They grow and need bigger frames.

Specsavwrs are free and if you like your optitian you can ask forbid the prescription and and take it elsewhere

SkiBike007 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:33:05

Thanks for infor really useful. We do have a spec savers in our town so I may try them, we were using the nice independent as my DH was sent there by the GP for extra tests and they had gd rep.

Astro55 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:41:38

You can still use them -

Add a were great when my kids were little - lots of choice -

But book an eye test

Astro55 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:42:03

Asda

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now