Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Banana medicine

(6 Posts)
SheStoodInTheStorm Fri 31-Mar-17 20:23:09

DD (3yo) has a UTI. Managed to get her in last min at the docs before they shut today and they prescribed different medicine to usual - we've got the banana amoxicillin. DD was fine about taking it, until she tasted it whereupon she spat it out and kept wrenching. Tried a couple more times to the same effect and an increasingly distraught child. It really is vile (I tried it)
Could really do with different antibiotics that we have a hope of her taking but as it's the weekend that's not going to happen is it?
Any ideas?
She won't have it mixed in yoghurt and doesn't have milkshake. To be honest she would taste it anyway!

Witchend Fri 31-Mar-17 20:25:55

Ds loathes it.

My technique is to have a large chocolate to put in the mouth immediately after the medicine, and hold their chin up (harder to spit it out).

<eyes up big yellow patch from where he spat it out and it never came off!>

Crumbs1 Fri 31-Mar-17 20:31:52

Brute force I'm afraid. A syringe, and hold chin up until swallows. Keeping it really cold reduces taste. You can use a spoon and keep,it in their mouth until they swallow but if they jam mouth shut it's hard to get in. Sugar lump on spoon with amoxicillin might help.

123bananas Fri 31-Mar-17 20:34:14

Give it via a syringe as far back into the mouth as possible. Then hold her chin up and rub underneath to induce swallowing. Orange juice or something to take away the taste may help. They can prescribe nitrofurantoin, cephalosporin or trimethroprim as an alternative. If you phone 111 they can direct you to the nearest OOH service.

SheStoodInTheStorm Fri 31-Mar-17 22:17:32

Thank you. Seems like I am going to need to man up a little sad

MrsWildermac Fri 31-Mar-17 22:24:49

Swaddle in a large towel, lean her back at 45°, squirt syringe into pouch of cheek in small amounts, holding her nose briefly to make her swallow. Only way I'm afraid. DD has had 10 courses of abx over the past year, and I've had to man up. She always gets the opportunity to take it herself, but knows that the fallback is the above option. Now pretty much takes them with no fuss. Co-amoxi is one of the better tasting ones - DD has just finished a 7 day 4x a day course of Penicillin which is really vile and very bitter. Aside from the first dose, she took it perfectly - syringe straight down, drink at the ready and sweetie of choice straight away, along with reward chart which she completed and got a toy of choice at the end of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now