Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby Tensing Up

(8 Posts)
BigGrannyPants Fri 31-Mar-17 13:27:41

I have twin 1 year olds, since my girl twin could sit up, she would tense up whenever we put her in the high chair, clench her thighs, pull her whole body inwards, her face would go red and hot and then she would appear to pass out! We assumed she was pulling against the high chair and cutting off her blood supply so we changed it for a high chair that she couldn't pull her legs behind. However the tensing up carried on although she hasn't passed out since then. But it then started happening in her car seat as well. So we came to the conclusion she didn't like the position so we ditched the high chair and bought toddler table and chairs and bought a car seat that we could tilt back. Everything has been fine since then. Until the last few weeks. The twins are 20 months old, and she has started tensing up in her tilted car seat and then today she has done it just while nodding off on the couch which is new! Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

IwillrunIwillfly Fri 31-Mar-17 15:03:51

If youre worried about herb definately take her tl the gp and get her checked. Maybe try and video am episode so you can show that exactly what happens? I could be totally wrong but have you heard of gratification disorder? That might be a possibility that would be harmless but if youre concerned get her seen.

BigGrannyPants Fri 31-Mar-17 16:24:26

I did video it, but it's really subtle on the video, hard to see. I called the GP and they just kept telling me to give her calpol 🙄 she seems absolutely fine in between times. I have read about self gratification but she looks uncomfortable, upset when it's happening. It's almost like she's holding her breath and clenching at the same time, it's really hard to explain..

TiredCluelessMummy Fri 31-Mar-17 16:42:22

If I were you, I would definitely get back to the GP and insist on a diagnosis or definite explanation of what's going on. There are so many things that this could be. It could be totally harmless, it could be behavioural, or it could be something more worrying. I'm not trying to scare you, it probably is nothing to worry about, but it's always, always better to be safe than sorry. Someone posted something a few months ago now about infant spasms. There is a video on YouTube I believe. Does it look like that?

TiredCluelessMummy Fri 31-Mar-17 16:45:37

With you saying it's subtle, that is what made me think of the infantile spasms. Lots of people commented that they were surprised how subtle and barely noticeable the spasms were in the video. But they do require medical attention urgently because they can have quite​ serious implications in terms of development.

BigGrannyPants Sat 01-Apr-17 08:00:21

Thank you, we have a doctors appointment on Monday. Thanks for the heads up on infantile spasms, I've watched a few videos of it and I'm sort of relieved to say I'm 99% sure it's not that. It's hard to describe, I'd post a video of it but putting my kids online makes me feel a bit icky confused

BigGrannyPants Sat 01-Apr-17 08:02:34

I think if it happens again over the weekend I will call nhs24

BigGrannyPants Mon 03-Apr-17 12:33:20

Saw the GP who is arranging for her to been seen at the hospital, she says it could be habit but she wants to rule out anything more serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now