Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lump behind ear stress!!!

(10 Posts)
Embobolina88 Fri 31-Mar-17 10:42:53

Our 18 month old son has had a pea size firm lump behind his left ear for weeks now. I took him to the gp 2 weeks ago who said he was sure its a swollen lymph node due to cough and cold season and pointed out more swollen lymph nodes on his neck. He said to bring him back in a week if it was still swollen. That was 2 weeks ago- I didn't take him back because he developed a cold a couple of days after our visit so I assume it's still there because he has a stinking cough and cold. It's still swollen today. I can't stop stressing about it! But if I take him
Back to the gp Now i think he'll just tell me it's still swollen due to his cold. He also said the more you mess with it you can anger it and it can swell more. I'm scared to touch it! Anyone else stressing about similar?!

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 31-Mar-17 10:50:34

When they're children their lymph nodes can stay swollen for a very long time. My DS1 had them for ages, I just left them well alone and they eventually went down. I would try not to worry about them, and just keep a eye on them.

butterfly86 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:19:58

My dd had one come up in her neck at Christmas I was absolutely past myself about it and nearly made myself ill worrying about it and obsessively googling, I've had it checked about 4 or 5 times since then a couple of times within a few weeks as they told me to take her back then the other times I've mentioned it when we've been for something else. Nobody seems concerned about it, there are a couple of smaller ones around it now (the origional one is about the size of half a big grape) but she has had a cough for weeks so I'm putting it down to that. I was checking it every day at first as I was so worried but I think it can aggravate them more so I'm trying to put it to the back of my mind and check it now and again. I think it does go up and down. No harm in getting it checked again if it's worrying you

Embobolina88 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:39:47

I got it checked out again last night and they still put it down to his cold which is ongoing. I've got to take him back in 2-3 weeks to review. You're right, I think it does aggravate it. I'm trying so hard to leave it alone but keep feeling to check it! Terrible. I can't stop thinking about it!

butterfly86 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:45:58

I'm exactly the same! Have been better lately but was terrible at first, I say to myself right I won't check it again until say, easter then it might have chance to go down but it's so hard to not have a little check!

mrsBeverleygoldberg Tue 04-Apr-17 08:50:43

12 year old ds1 had a lump in the same place last summer. I was beside myself that he had leukaemia. He had a sore throat and it went. Take him back to reassure yourself and it probably is swollen because of the cold and cough. The joy of motherhood!

MrWriter Tue 04-Apr-17 13:12:42

I came on to the child health topic to ask this exact question!

Last Wednesday evening I noticed that ds (3.5) had a large lump on the left hand side of his neck, thankfully dd had her jabs the following morning so I asked dh to take ds to the dr with him and ask, the dr said it could be caused by nits/lice or a bump to the head, or an infection. We checked for lice etc, nothing, I don't think he bumped his head though he has had a cough and mild conjunctivitis for a few weeks.

The dr prescribed an antibiotic and asked us to bring him in again on Friday of this week.

I've been scaring the crap out of myself googling (don't do that), and trawling through mn history to find any similar threads, but I'm beside myself with worry.

It's hard and immobile though seems symmetrical. And tbh ds wont really let you poke at it so it might be mobile.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, embolo I know what you mean, I keep looking at it then panicking , I'm actually scared to touch it as I'm a head in the sand kind of person!

Ouchy Fri 14-Apr-17 21:19:24

My son has these behind both ears, more prominent on one side. My daughter has them in her neck. I had them both checked out at doctors and my daughter even had a little scan. Both are fine, they do swell when the children have virus/bugs, but I no longer worry and my son is 7 now and had them since a baby. Of course do get it checked by a doctor, but in all likelihood it's nothing at all to worry about so I'd book an appointment, then chill and relax as it's highly likely to be nothing at all 👍

Embobolina88 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:34:25

Yeah went last Friday again. Dr said he had a virus- which then really developed over the weekend. On the mend now though! Lump still swollen though! But dr said to give it 6 weeks then go back if still worried xx

chantellea Fri 21-Jul-17 23:36:42

Did the lumps go down in your little Ones? I'm having the same issue with my 13 month old son and I'm driving myself insane. He also has an ear infection the same side but the lump has been there for over 2 months. I'm worried sick about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now