Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

baby has coldsore, how worried should I be?

(29 Posts)
mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:09:33

Dc2 has developed a coldsore today (but dc1 never had one, so I'm new to it). I know coldsores are dangerous in babies, but I don't know at what stage/how old it isn't a big deal anymore. Dc2 has had all jabs due so far.

Have phoned hv for advice earlier but no reply, so message left. It's now after five, so won't hear from her today. Do I need to do anything more now?

tia

Ecureuil Thu 30-Mar-17 17:10:09

How old is DC2?

mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:10:49

also, I'm breastfeeding, is there any issue with that? ?can virus spead to me etc?
maybe that's a stupid question, just wondered if virus can be spread back to me and then back to baby etc?

dementedpixie Thu 30-Mar-17 17:11:42

Are you sure it's a cold sore? How old is the baby?

dementedpixie Thu 30-Mar-17 17:12:21

Can you take a picture?

mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:15:01

sorry should have said dc2 19 weeks and over a stone, will try and get pic

mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:18:50

single blister, small. lo out of sorts and unsettled today

mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:21:39

,which isn't usual, normally they are happy smiley baby

RedBugMug Thu 30-Mar-17 17:22:53

take her to a&e

Neverknowing Thu 30-Mar-17 17:23:07

Looks like a spot to me, it may not even be a Coldsore.

Nowthereistwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:23:56

Are you sure it's a coldsore. My dds have had hand, foot & mouth and had little sores like blisters round the mouth. Made then very uncomfortable.

Neverknowing Thu 30-Mar-17 17:25:13

Maybe try calling 111 and they'll tell you if you need to go in, oftentimes they can make you an appointment and you won't have to wait in A&E smile

blueskyinmarch Thu 30-Mar-17 17:25:56

Is it the wee, tiny blemish on the left of the lower lip? Looks like a tiny spot to me. What makes you think it is a cold sore?

Redbug You were joking about A&E weren’t you?

dementedpixie Thu 30-Mar-17 17:27:51

An initial cold sore infection would be much worse than that. Does anyone have cold sores? Could just be a spot

mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:28:30

dc1 has had hfm
but so far dc2 hasn't had other viral symptoms of raised temp and off food

mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:32:31

bc blister on lip thought coldsore, surely spot on lip would be odd?

mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 17:33:36

(dc1's hfm was over year ago)

shirleycartersaidso Thu 30-Mar-17 17:34:09

Doesn't look like a cold sore imo more a spot or HfM. Can you go and chat to a pharmacist?

shirleycartersaidso Thu 30-Mar-17 17:35:31

Spot on lip not odd especially on the lip line like that

Ecureuil Thu 30-Mar-17 17:42:11

It doesn't look like a cold sore to me (I get them) and an initial cold sore infection in a baby is likely to be much worse than that. Mine always got little spots around the mouth area, usually gone in 24 hours.

mammyoftwo Thu 30-Mar-17 18:10:12

thanks all, have never seen a coldsore in baby, to compare

RNBrie Thu 30-Mar-17 18:15:56

My children have had terrible coldsores which they caught from our nanny. I would say that's just a spot, coldsores don't have white heads like that. Has your baby been in contact with anyone who has a coldsores in the past two weeks?

They aren't automatically dangerous in babies, but it can be. When my eldest first caught it she had a terrible reaction and ended up in hospital but it took several days for the virus to develop and she had hundreds of sores on her face and in her mouth, one sore like that (even if it is a coldsore) won't be a big problem.

Keep an eye on her temp and see a GP if you're really worried but I wouldn't take her to out of hours or a&e for something that small.

SophiaC Thu 30-Mar-17 18:17:21

I got cold sores from a very very young age, they will look like very sore blisters around the mouth and tend to spread quite easily. Develop very quickly. Wish I still had to pictures to show you but it looked nothing like that. I would get it checked to be safe but from my own experiences this does not look like one x

whoknewitwastrue Fri 31-Mar-17 20:22:17

Bloody hell RNB I would be seriously posed off about that.

After it looks like a tiny spot. Mine get them occasionally.

Crumbs1 Fri 31-Mar-17 20:40:09

It doesn't look like a cold sore. It certainly doesn't need accident and energency. Could be a small spot of feeding blister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now