Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is it worth applying for DLA

(3 Posts)
ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 27-Mar-17 20:03:12

Is it worth applying for DLA in this citcumstance?
DS has had physical tics for a few years he is now 6 and they are getting worse not better. The paediatrician he last saw thinks they are habit tics and has refered him to an occupational therapist and a Psycologist and also said it appears he has some sensory issues including possible a higher than normal pain threshold.
Someone mentioned you can claim DLA if your child needs more care than a 'normal' child their age. We do have to supervise DS more than we ever did our older child when he was 6. If we didnt supervise him and tell him to stop pulling his hair out or stamping his toes he would and has done it until he has massive bald patches, bleeding toes etc. He also can develop sudden inability to wear shoes he has been wearing perfectly fine because he decides they hurt so I habe to buy new shoes even though the others still fit etc. School say he is fine academically but have noticed his behaviours stop him from fully joining in activities. Is this something they would be bothered about?

Daffodils07 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:07:27

It is worth trying, certainly won't hurt and it could benefit him.
Better if the school and pead are behind you as the dla will very likely contact them.

Shootingstar2289 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:40:42

You can certainly apply. I was told to apply before my son had Autism (although I did wait until he was diagnosed).

You won't know, until you try. The paperwork is quite long but like I said, worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now