Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sore throat driving my daughter mad

(11 Posts)
castleontheground Fri 24-Mar-17 19:08:27

My 15 year old dd has had a sore throat for 6 weeks. No swollen neck glands nor cough. Dr didn't make much of it - though maybe a bit of tonsillitis and prescribed penicillin which she said made it feel a bit better but after the course went back to painful again. Went back again and Dr said it was normal. Felt bad about taking up appt time. Dd insists her throat does not look normal. Any ideas?

frazzled3ds Fri 24-Mar-17 19:48:02

No ideas other than going back to the GP as that definitely doesn't look normal! Sorry not to be much help, hope she's feeling better soon.

castleontheground Sat 25-Mar-17 06:56:07

Thank you.

castleontheground Sat 25-Mar-17 06:59:53

The photo pretty much looks like it did when she went to the Drs though it doesn't look as bad as googled tonsillitis pics. It's such a wait at the Drs then you have posters saying ' don't waste our time with sore throats etc'. May have to again....!!

frazzled3ds Sat 25-Mar-17 08:08:00

I know what you mean. Maybe try the pharmacist first then? My middle son has recurrent throat problems, I'm getting reasonably good at working out when to take him to the doctor with it, and when over the counter stuff will do. We do have something called Difflam throat spray that does a good job of 'numbing' it - I'm not sure whether you can get it over the counter without prescription.

Lots of warm drinks and soothing honey meanwhile!

AnotherTimeMaybe Sat 25-Mar-17 16:39:12

Manuka honey a really good quality one like steens does wonders for stuff like this

PacificDogwod Sat 25-Mar-17 16:41:19

Take her back to the doctor's.

Could be any number of things, including but not exclusive to thrush, reflux, any number of viral things etc etc.

Yy to Difflam for relief in the meantime.
And cold stuff goes down more comfortably that warm/hot food, although bizarre dry crusty toast can be soothing too hmm

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 25-Mar-17 16:44:05

Agree with both honey & difflam. If you google 'golem juice' there's a good natural remedy that works wonders with the advantage that because it's not a medication you can have as much as you like.

castleontheground Sat 25-Mar-17 18:30:18

Thank you everyone - already on the expensive Manuka 15+ honey but will look at thouse others too. Thanks x

Lucylanz Sat 25-Mar-17 18:40:57

I can see a good couple of tonsil stones in there which will be irritating her throat. Might worth exploring that - a lot of people use cotton buds to gently prod them out.

castleontheground Sun 26-Mar-17 13:40:20

Thank you Lucy - she hasn't got bad breath but you may be on to something here... will investigate with cottonbuds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now