Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD won't swallow medicine

(8 Posts)
jimjimjamming Fri 24-Mar-17 15:03:49

Help. We are on holiday. Five year old DD vomited all over the plane on the journey over & we have spent the past few days in the clinic. Yaysad. Doc has prescribed her antibiotic syrup for a gastro bacterial infection. But she will not take it. Three act drama every time which ends in her throwing it up (even though she is much better) I've tried mixing meds with honey, bribes, etc etc. What to do?? How can I get the medicine into her? I want her better & our holiday to begin confused

CotswoldStrife Fri 24-Mar-17 15:08:50

You have my sympathy, I don't think my own DD kept medicine down until she was around 8!

Do you have a syringe? Tiny little squirts into the cheek (takes ages) and choc buttons to take the taste away if necessary.

jimjimjamming Fri 24-Mar-17 15:19:03

Cotswoldstrife . Yes I have got a syringe but she just gets into a total tizzy & then the gag reflex seems to kick in the moment anything goes into her mouth. We've had tears & whining over the years taking medicine but recently it got easier. This episode of vomiting has set us back on a much longed-for, expensive holiday 😭Is there anyone out there with a golden bit of advice for me??

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Fri 24-Mar-17 15:24:34

Contact the dr and see what he suggests? Is a several day acting injection or suppositories a possibility in that medication?

jimjimjamming Fri 24-Mar-17 15:47:16

I asked about suppositories. Apparently not available. Not sure about the injection. hmm

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:48:19

Milk shake. And don't tell her it's in it!

QuestionableMouse Fri 24-Mar-17 15:51:50

I wouldn't do milkshake (somewhere in the back of my head I recall something about milk interfering with antibiotics working.)

Can the doc not give you pills? If not, I'd try mixing it into something like fruit puree or peanut butter. Dollop it on a slice of cake if needed.

Skatingonthinice16 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:37:49

Are you sure it is bacterial? If she's much better anyway without taking the medicine I wouldn't force it. Most gastro things are viral. How was the bacterial diagnosis made?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now