Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox on genitals still haven't scabbed

(8 Posts)
Falcon1 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:10:44

I'm confused as to whether my DD is still infectious. The chicken pox started 9 days ago. All spots have scabbed apart from the ones on and around her vagina. Is this just because they're not getting any air on them due to her nappy? They no longer have liquid in them, but they're still very red.

Advice appreciated!

Gunpowder Thu 23-Mar-17 22:12:41

I don't know if they are still infectious or not but DD's nappy area spots were the worst and took longest to heal. Nappy free time helped. Poor thing, it's horrible.

Falcon1 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:14:11

It is, and she's been suffering for so long now!

Falcon1 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:57:28

Can anyone tell me if she's likely to still be contagious???

Jackiebrambles Thu 23-Mar-17 23:03:18

I don't think so. My little girls pox scabs lasted the longest in her nappy area, I assumed because they weren't able to dry like the others!

But all the others had well scabbed over after 7 days so she went back to nursery.

Jackiebrambles Thu 23-Mar-17 23:05:04

My son had a very mild case but he had loads of spots on his genitals. And they were still pretty red 2 weeks after the onset.

wrinkleseverywhere Thu 23-Mar-17 23:15:57

Nursery took DD back when they'd all scabbed over other than in her nappy area. DS was given a fit to fly certificate in similar circumstances.
Try for nappy free time so they get a chance to dry (easy for me to say as both of mine got c pox in the summer & we have laminate flooring)

Falcon1 Thu 23-Mar-17 23:24:34

Really helpful, thanks all. Slightly annoyed with myself as it would appear she could have gone back to nursery 3 days ago (gggrrrr!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now