Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Birthmark on face

(9 Posts)
JonSnowsWhore Wed 22-Mar-17 10:20:38

My son has a birth mark on the side of his face & under his eye on the same side. When he was born I was told it was a pressure mark & it would probably be gone by about a year old. He's now nearly 4 & it hasn't gone.

It's never bothered us it's just normal to us but today at a Drs appointment for something else the dr asked if anyone was 'keeping an eye on it' confused
Is that a thing? Does it need an eye kept on it, I had no idea!

It's not a dark one like a port wine type birth mark he actually does look like he's had a bash on the face which is why so many people ask about it thinking he's hurt himself, I'll try & post a pic incase anyone has any answers smile

JonSnowsWhore Wed 22-Mar-17 10:29:42

Pic

JonSnowsWhore Wed 22-Mar-17 16:32:34

Bump

P1nkP0ppy Wed 22-Mar-17 16:39:56

DD had a similar one op, larger, raised and on her forehead, and known as a strawberry Mark.
It disappeared by the time she went to school if I remember correctly.
It was particularly obvious because she had very blond, wispy hair.

P1nkP0ppy Wed 22-Mar-17 16:41:32

I had lots of 'Poor little girl, did you fall over/bang your head etc'
It will go op, I'm sure.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Wed 22-Mar-17 16:47:17

DT2 has a mole on his cheek. I was told to see that it grows at the same rate that he does. It's about the size of his small finger nail and has always been.

I have a similar red patch above my eye. It gets darker if I have a cry but other than that it doesn't change. It was darker when I was born as the old (B&W!) photos show me with it. It doesn't show much now.

I suppose treat it like a mole. If it becomes raised or different to how it looked before then seek advice?

Bluntness100 Wed 22-Mar-17 16:50:02

My daughter has a couple, referred to as stork marks, one between her eyes and one on the nape of her neck in the exact same spot I have one.

Neither has particularly faded, she's 19 now, but they aren't particularly noticeable either, you have to look closely, however no one wanted to keep an eye on it, so that's unusual.

Out2pasture Wed 22-Mar-17 16:52:20

Often those light non raised spots are called a "stork bite" my grand daughter has one.
You can do a quick google search, but I don't think there are treatments available for this.
You could always ask for s dermatologists opinion.

JonSnowsWhore Wed 22-Mar-17 17:06:45

My daughter had the raised strawberry birthmark on her knee & that went completely. Never heard of the stork one though! That's interesting I'll have a look.

It's never bothered us it's just part of him but it's just that this dr mentioned it & asked about keeping an eye on it, I just didn't know why you would need to confused that's obviously my own naivety though if you've pointed out that I need to look for changes, so thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now