Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Encopresis - any experience?

(3 Posts)
Lushmetender Sun 19-Mar-17 21:45:02

My DD is 6 and has started soiling her pants badly - she says she can't feel it coming so I googled it and came up with encopresis. It's been getting worse over past few months. My DD is a really bad eater and definitely doesn't drink enough. Her poos smell really bad like fox poo. Her poos are on the large side so I think it fits in with this. Any experience? Thinking of taking her to GP but don't want her to feel bad 😔

iwouldgoouttonight Sun 19-Mar-17 21:54:06

Yes my DS has it. I'd take her to the doctor, they may give her a laxative like Movicol to help soften the poo. In our experience it's best to get it treated sooner rather than later.

Sazzlestick123 Wed 22-Mar-17 06:37:27

We have a 7 year old doing this still. All triggered by starting school - it got better for a while then has got worse again. He still isn't dry at night but since increasing the movicol he's leaking outside his nighttime pants every night. I am literally at my wits end. Doctor and school nurse have no time and just point us to movicol. It is now effecting our whole family and not to mention my poor little boy. I think I have to get tough now to get the help we need. Apart from this he is happy and healthy - it's so distressing to feel out of control as a parent. Stool impaction sounds the most probable for us too so I have decided I am not leaving the GP today until I get a proper referral for him. It's a really difficult and frustrating thing to deal with. Good luck with yours, definitely get to the GP and don't be fobbed off like we have been for so long. Sarah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now