Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Why is my 15 month old so fat?

(54 Posts)
Skatingonthinice16 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:18:30

She's 82cm and 35lbs.

She has a weetabix for breakfast with an ounce and a half of breast milk.
She has a sandwich with cheese spread or peanut butter for lunch - only one piece of bread - and then some fruit which she loves.
For dinner she usually has jacket potato with cheese / beans, some chicken / fish / turkey with some potato and vegetables, some tomato pasta or sometimes an omelette. Pudding she has some more fruit.

For a snack she does like the organix carrot stick crisps or fruit. She occasionally has a biscuit.

But she still has about 600mls of breast milk a day. I know this because I'm expressing for her and she drinks every thing I express which is between 550-600mls a day.
Is this why she's so fat?
I'm sure my son ate more than this at this age and although weighed similar he was taller - about 90cm - his dad is very tall and now aged 7 my son is skinny but in age 11 clothes which are huge round the middle but anything smaller flap around his ankles!

My daughter has just started walking independently but will walk for about two hours just holding one of my hands. She rarely uses the pushchair now.

I'm a bit concerned as to why she's so big?

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:19:06

And portion size - her evening main meal fits on a side plate and she rarely eats it all.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 19-Mar-17 13:19:53

Have you been told she's overweight by a doctor or health visitor? Have you discussed her eating solids and breastmilk?

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:23:39

No but I've plotted her height and weight. Height is over the 95th centile but weight is off the chart.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 19-Mar-17 13:25:21

Your first stop should be your GP. I seem to remember my friend's son having BM and a full menu of solids and he was a bit on the large side. Have you tried to reduce her milk?

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:25:50

She has most of her milk before bed. She doesn't have any in the day now - just water.
She has 6oz first thing and then 14oz before bed.

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:27:03

I find she wakes in the night and I've tried giving her water instead when she wakes but she won't take it.

She doesn't keep eating when full as some days she barely eats anything! But she always has the milk.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 19-Mar-17 13:30:59

I would honestly see the GP...but for now, post on the breastfeeding topic....there are people there who know more than most.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding

tinypop4 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:31:22

She sounds on the bigger side but her meals are normal and portioned well. 14oz is a lot of bed time milk- you could probably half this and it would be enough but I can't imagine cutting out a few oz of bm would make that much difference. If she's only just started walking well I would imagine she will stop gaining so fast pretty soon- my ds was massive until 16 months but he's now 20 months and hasn't out put on anything since he's been running about and being a big pickier about food!! but if you are worried visit your GP.

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 19-Mar-17 13:36:35

Is she walking yet? As 14 months is the average age for walking maybe she'll (hesitate to say) slim down as she moves more. Quite usual for little pudgy babies to be average weight as they get to 4 or 5.

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:41:29

She's just started walking on her own but she's been walking holding my hand for about two months and she will walk for miles like this! I'm not sure whether she will burn up more calories now she's walking on her own. She's quite an active toddler. They all are I guess but she seems more active then most. Seems to copy her brother so she's already outside playing football and kicking and throwing the ball, much to his annoyance!

Reiltin Sun 19-Mar-17 13:45:14

I had this issue. My almost-4yo is now the same centile for height and weight. She evened out, which is typical, especially once they start walking.

Waitingonasmile Sun 19-Mar-17 13:47:02

It wouldn't do any harm to speak to GP or HV. My son is 6 months older and 9 pounds lighter so it's does seem large, but then again he's small.

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:47:22

She is pudgy and cute but I must admit even I now think she looks big.
I guess I will try and cut out the milk because I can't see why else she'd be so big? I certainly don't feel she eats too much.

I hope she levels out. She was a big baby when born. I think she has quite a big frame too so she may always have to be careful with her weight. I don't think she will be naturally dainty...

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Sun 19-Mar-17 13:53:19

Breast milk has around 22 calories per fl oz (so I have read). Therefore 14 oz is the equivalent of over 300 calories - a 2 year old only needs around 1000 calories a day. There are 260 calories in a Mars bar.

I would probably look at reducing the amount of breast milk as a first line. My eldest daughter is 5 and only 39 lbs (she's been 50th centile for years now), so I do think 35 lbs sounds quite heavy.

You sound very sensible and I'm sure you will talk to the GP if you need to. It is worth addressing sooner rather than later imo.

Ecureuil Sun 19-Mar-17 14:02:06

Some children are just bigger, my 3 year old is 30lbs... and so is my 20 month old! No difference in diet, DD2 is just bigger (and has been since birth). She was EBF and managed to put on 1lbs a week in her first 6 weeks!
I don't think she needs quite so much milk at that age, although I can't see it causing huge weight issues. I went cold turkey on night time milk at 12 months because I knew she didn't actually need it. It only took one difficult night and then she was fine with water/nothing.
I'd make an appt with the HV just to put my mind at rest.

AnoiseAnnoysanOyster Sun 19-Mar-17 15:51:00

She does weigh as much as my 2 and a half year old. 14oz of milk is a huge amount. If she's waking wanting milk in the night it's just habit, she doesn't need it.

Ecureuil Sun 19-Mar-17 15:53:28

I've just checked and actually my three year old is 28lbs! She's very dainty though. Her sister is 19 months younger and weighs the same.

WheresTheEvidence Sun 19-Mar-17 15:57:04

Why is she having so much milk at bedtime. She needs no more than 7oz in a cup/beaker and she's having twice that.

ImperialBlether Sun 19-Mar-17 15:57:31

How can you cope, expressing so much milk? I found it really hard to do it at all.

Skatingonthinice16 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:09:36

Because I am still expressing every 5 hours at least. Day AND night. I used to get about 30oz so my supply has dropped significantly.

blueskyinmarch Sun 19-Mar-17 16:14:34

One of my cousins was practically round at that age despite eating a fairly healthy diet. He then grew and grew and grew into a tall skinny youth. I imagine once she is moving more and grows she will balance out a bit.

upsidedownpinapplecake Sun 19-Mar-17 16:19:59

Pole bear your mars bar analogy is ridiculous, you can't compare a mars bar with bm. The calorie content is entirely different. I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you op but get her checked out and see what the gp advises. The health benefits of bm far out way the worry about calories.

EdenX Sun 19-Mar-17 16:21:11

She's having a lot of milk still, they only need about 12oz including dairy in food after 12 months. Start giving her 3 or 4 oz a time in a cup.

Sweets101 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:47:11

I'd keep up the BM personally, if you are happy to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now