Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tiredness in 6 Yr Old

(7 Posts)
FreedomMummy Sat 18-Mar-17 19:43:05

Hi
Just need a bit of advice/sounding board. For the last 3/4 weeks my 6 yr old DD has been saying she is tired and she seems it. She only does one after school activity a week and our weekends aren't particularly full on. She gets at least 11 hours a night sleep and there is no reason to think that it isn't a solid nights sleep. Our DS is sleeping really badly but when I ask DD in the morning whether she heard she always says no. She seems fine in the morning but once lunchtime hits she loses her energy and whenever we suggest/ask her to do something she says she's too tired.
I guess my question is do we need to take her to the doctors or is it normal for a 6 yr old to be this tired all the time?
Thanks.

Someone22 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:44:01

Definitely take her to the doctors. I hope she's ok.

Oldmum55 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:53:57

Let the GP see her. Possibly blood tests, could be low in iron, quite common in children, or less commonly, sugar/thyroid issues. If blood tests OK then it could be just a phase she's going through.

MrsKCastle Sat 18-Mar-17 20:57:01

Definitely worth getting her checked out. My DD is 5, gets a similar amount of sleep and has quite a busy week (e.g. activities, after school club). DD does get a bit tired and grumpy at bedtimes, but is generally full of energy.

Does your DD have any other symptoms?

FreedomMummy Sat 18-Mar-17 21:14:55

Thanks. I think I will take her just to get her checked. She doesn't have any other symptoms. I was thinking it could be low iron so I may also try and be intentional about giving her some high iron foods this week.

theothersideoftheworld Sat 18-Mar-17 21:25:29

Hi I took my ds (4) recently for the same issue. The dr didn't do bloods but said anaemia in children of this age is common. She told me to make sure he eats plenty of green veg etc. The thing is he eats school dinners so I've no idea what veg he's eating if any!
I've made a real effort at the weekends though. Luckily he loves broccoli so I try to get him to eat lots of that. Definitely take her to the GP though. Always worth a checkup

Realitea Wed 22-Mar-17 21:05:16

My dd is 6 and going through the same. Never wants to do anything at the weekend and is in bed by 6.30. Have you seen your doctor yet? I think I'll speak to mine tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now