Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should active 3 year old with ankle sprain go to football on Sunday?

(5 Posts)
Neome Fri 17-Mar-17 16:09:38

DS is very active, generally picks himself up without getting upset after a tumble and gets over minor bumps quickly.
He appears to have sprained his ankle after tripping over awkwardly at a playground today. I was there and saw that it really hurt when it happened and carried on hurting when I picked him up and sat him on my lap for a bit. Then he said it was ok and was determined to be off again but staggered about unable to walk on it properly. But was still determined to keep going.
We saw a first aider and I called 111 who came up with the ankle sprain explanation and some helpful advice including that if he wants to use it he can't do himself any damage.
With difficulty he was persuaded to sit and watch a video on a tablet but was then determined to keep playing, still having problems weight bearing but finding ways round it.
He's supposed to be going to a football class on Sunday, I had forgotten this when talking to the 111 nurse.
Should I force him to watch TV all weekend?

ZiggyForever Fri 17-Mar-17 16:16:20

To be clear, I'm not medically qualified at all, but when my ex sprained his ankle (with the most spectacular bruising I have ever seen!) he was told to keep as active as he could, as it would hurt less and heal more quickly if he were mobile.

I'm really not sure whether the same advice would apply to such a young child though. I wonder if that's the kind of thing you can get guidance on from NHS24 (or whatever it's called now)?

Leggit Fri 17-Mar-17 16:26:30

Well it would make sense to assess how he is on it over the next couple of days wouldn't it?

Neome Fri 17-Mar-17 16:42:36

Absolutely Leggit, it may be obvious one way or the other by this time tomorrow.

Very helpful reply Ziggy, 111 said he wouldn't hurt it by using it.

Thank you!

stressbucket1 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:14:35

Hmm is he limping or not weight bearing properly? If he is like that tomorrow I would get it checked out. 3 year olds don't complain much I would take it seriously. Leave football unless he is completely back to normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now