Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sons temp is 39.4!

(7 Posts)
Mrsdarcyiwish10 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:23:13

My DS is 8 1/2, he has the temp of 39.4 and has a blocked nose, possible cold coming on for a few days, says he feels dizzy and is off his food.

Temp has come down to 39.5 with cal pol but I wonder if inshore call the out of hours docs or am I wasting their time?

I know children get fevers but I just worry as he as Asthma so can't take anything but cal pol.

beggingbehind Wed 15-Mar-17 21:17:12

Give nurofen as well. Then see if it drops anymore. Poor DS

BarchesterFlowers Wed 15-Mar-17 21:27:10

Asthmatics can't take nurofen Begging.

Do you mean it has come down to 38.5 Mrs?

Not too worrying if it has. I am crap at judging DD when she is sat in front of me to be honest as she always spikes a 40 degree temp which lasts a day or two when ill. I have always been told to judge the child not the fever.

Poor lad, I had a 39.5 degree temp earlier in the week and thought to myself how having to get myself to and sit through OOH would be like medieval torture. He will feel shocking.

Hopefully someone with better advice than me will be along.

DaffodilDarling Wed 15-Mar-17 21:29:24

The actual temp is not an indicator of how I'll the child is, as a pp said.

TeaBelle Wed 15-Mar-17 21:29:57

Agree with pp, the number on the thermometer isn't as important as how your DS is. If he's not showing any other worrying symptoms then manage him at home - keep his fluids up and let him rest.

MrsRhettButler Wed 15-Mar-17 21:33:00

Dd2 regularly gets to 39.4 and above. (I think she's just prone to them)
Give lots of fluids as that's very important and if it goes up again and doesn't come down and he's dizzy etc then I would call 111 for advice.
Hope he feels better soon.

Mrsdarcyiwish10 Thu 16-Mar-17 07:54:31

Thank you all, he can't take Nurofen or ibuprofen because of asthma, he has a middling night and I will ring the docs this morning as he had another 2 doses of cal pol in the night so I only have 1 more to give him till 7pm tonight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now