Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

baby's penis swells when urinating

(20 Posts)
PebbleTTC Wed 15-Mar-17 19:10:50

Is this normal? He is almost 20 months

HerrenaHarridan Wed 15-Mar-17 19:13:20

His foreskin is too tight.

Try and gently push it back. If he seems like this is painful take to gp.
If not just keep doing it over the course of a few weeks to stretch it out.

PatMullins Wed 15-Mar-17 19:17:15

I'm not a doctor but I really wouldn't advise pushing it back at such a young age..?

PebbleTTC Wed 15-Mar-17 19:19:04

I thought you weren't to go at the foreskin?

60sname Wed 15-Mar-17 19:19:39

He's a toddler! The foreskin doesn't push back at this age as it's still attached.

Doctor explained this to me when I asked about DS' ballooning as a baby

Redyellowpinkblue Wed 15-Mar-17 19:20:03

PLEASE don't try and push it back!!!!!!!

The foreskin can be attached to the glans and pushing back even gently can cause lasting damage and huge pain - experience of this with close friends Ds.

Pop to the gp and he will take a look and go from there.

PatMullins Wed 15-Mar-17 19:20:55

I thought as much.

GP it is then, OP smile

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Wed 15-Mar-17 19:21:21

My DS's penis did this too. It's ballooning as the foreskin is still tight.

It's against medical advice to pull the skin back, please don't.

If he seems in pain or uncomfortable, take him to gp. Otherwise, give it time. It will loosen off.

DS is 4 and his is fine, as the doc said it would be

Popskipiekin Wed 15-Mar-17 19:21:40

@Herena are you a healthcare professional? I have two DSs and was told by a GP under no circumstances to pull back my son's foreskin (in this instance I asked if I should be cleaning under it). He said the first person to do that should be my son himself, when he was old enough to do this, as otherwise we risked severe damage as infant males have foreskins which are incompletely separated from the head of the penis.
@Pebble I'm not sure if it's normal - I would go to GP to ask.

Popskipiekin Wed 15-Mar-17 19:22:12

Haha took me too long to write - massive cross post!

MyBeloved Wed 15-Mar-17 19:22:12

GP visit is in order.

MrsRyanGosling15 Wed 15-Mar-17 19:27:52

This happened my son too. His foreskin was too tight. Despite what everyone here is saying, after seeing the consultant we were sent away with 'excercises' to do every night that involved gently retracting the foreskin to try and stretch it. When this didn't work he had on op to try and stretch it (waste of time),then at the age of 5 was finally circumcised.

onthettcbus Wed 15-Mar-17 19:29:44

I wouldn't touch it yourself, defiantly consult a healthcare professional for advice, it would be awful if it permanently damaged him.

Redyellowpinkblue Wed 15-Mar-17 19:50:06

Yes Mrsryan I'm sure there are exercises to do but it needs a gp visit first and/or a consultant referral so a proper treatment plan is in place so no damage is done. Going in 'blind' on such a delicate area can cause huge irreparable damage - speaking from experience (friends sons well meaning GM).

WeAllHaveWings Wed 15-Mar-17 20:08:29

Don't pull it back!!

Ds(13)'s did this as a baby/toddler but it was just the foreskin had stuck together at the end (sweat/cream created a slight seal) and the pee ballooned it a bit before the seal opened. It sorted itself out, mention to the HV if worried but if it's not red/inflamed in anyway I'd leave it.

PebbleTTC Wed 15-Mar-17 20:23:47

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes it is red on the tip but doesn't seem to bother him. My main concern is that my husband had similar issues and was diagnosed with phimosis and had to get circumcised at 26!!

HerrenaHarridan Wed 15-Mar-17 23:44:23

No I'm not a hcp.

My experience of this comes from coaching a friend through it with her boys. The oldest of whom she did not intervene with and later required surgery.
The younger she was advised to do as I described by the paediatrician. She began this at 20 months and now he's is close to 4 with no problems.
Since then she's had 2 more and gently eased back their foreskins from an early age when she first noticed ballooning.
No further surgery required.

One of them seemed to take it somewhat to heart and will stretch his penis in an eye watering fashion. His main goal in life seems to be tonnage it touch his chin

HerrenaHarridan Wed 15-Mar-17 23:45:03

Tonnage- to make

WatchMeSoar Wed 15-Mar-17 23:48:12

?

Popskipiekin Thu 16-Mar-17 08:39:07

Herrena thanks for responding. I asked because I was wondering whether advice had changed since I had DS1. Avoiding surgery seems very positive but so many people would not know what they were doing that leaving well alone and contacting GP first seems best initial step. grin at stretchy penis antics. Boys and their toys...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now