Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Getting baby to take liquid omeprazole

(9 Posts)
CalJo Tue 14-Mar-17 17:47:52

Hi there, I'm having terrible difficulty getting my three month old baby to take his liquid omeprazole that he has for reflux, we are on day five and although it is not as traumatic as the reflux itself it is a rather unpleasant experience for both of us when I have to get him to take it and often it will come out of his mouth cause he doesn't like it. He loves infacol and calpol, is there any way to flavour the omeprazole? Thanks xx

Sunshineandlaughter Tue 14-Mar-17 22:50:13

Don't know about flavouring but a clean finger in their mouth after the medicine squirted in helps stop them spitting it back out

CalJo Wed 15-Mar-17 11:03:11

That's a great trick, thank you! Will try it tonight xx

MrsStinkey Wed 15-Mar-17 11:05:03

Is it liquid medicine or the MUPs tablets that you dissolve in water?

Caenea Wed 15-Mar-17 11:07:39

I get calpol down mine by letting her suck on the syringe before giving her a little bit at a time.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Wed 15-Mar-17 11:11:03

Preparing to get slated for this but I mixed liquid medication with half melted strawberry ice cream on occasion when mine were little. The cold masked some of the bad flavour.

BoobleMcB Thu 16-Mar-17 08:44:49

Side of the mouth, a little at a time

Cakescakescakes Thu 16-Mar-17 08:46:22

Squirt it into the side of their mouth and hold their nose just for a millisecond which causes a swallowing reflex.

Kim82 Thu 16-Mar-17 08:48:41

We had this problem as omeprazole tastes vile, we squirted it into the side of the mouth and put her dummy in straight away. Worked every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now