Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Untreated scarlet fever..

(2 Posts)
BelleBoyd Tue 14-Mar-17 11:54:05

My DS-just turned 3 has suspected scarlet fever. On day 9 now and symptoms have passed with him just feeling more tired than usual now.
He had a swab test which hopefully comes back today.
The doctor prescribed antibiotics last week but I'm unable to get them in him. He's quite orally phobic generally-doesn't eat many foods/won't take Calpol etc. I've tried previously with antibiotics when he had tonsillitis but had to give up after 10 days of persevering.
I've tried hiding it in sugar solutions, smoothies, juice, milk, foods and have also tried several times by force. I use the syringe in the side of the mouth. I know all the methods but he vomits it up and literally tears the room apart fighting screaming and then hides. He won't be bribed by any sweets or chocolate or any treats.
So I've told the Dr and discussed IV option or an injection but they say there isn't an injection?
Don't know what I can do but to leave it untreated if the Dr won't go with any other options.
Obviously worried sick about the complications it can cause if left untreated.

Remembermyname Tue 14-Mar-17 12:04:20

I've just got back from the Dr where my 3yr old was also diagnosed with scarlet fever. He said the antibiotics were because there was a very small chance of further complications but because it's not that common they take a belt and braces approach..

I obviously have no medical training but the sense I got was that it would have gone away eventually if not treated..

Hope he feels better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now