Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lump in toddlers chest! Advice please!

(17 Posts)
mummyof2est2009 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:52:51

Hi I wondered if any of you could put my mind at rest. I was changing DS nappy and he was crying noticed a lump about 2cm below his sternum it's quite large (approx 4cm across) I've never noticed it before and now I'm staring to panic! Anyone else's toddler have this? Thank you

iMatter Sat 11-Mar-17 20:03:22

Could it be a hernia?

Has it just appeared?

If so, I'd be off to A&E (and I never say that).

Ds2 had an umbilical hernia which became strangulated and he had to have an emergency op.

mummyof2est2009 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:12:26

I don't think so, DD had a hiatus hernia which felt softer to the touch. This is firmer and quite smooth. It sticks out more when he tenses (probably why I noticed it when he was crying) but it is also there when he's not tensing but seems further back if that makes sense? X

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sat 11-Mar-17 20:19:14

Definitely get it checked as soon as you can. It is most likely nothing to worry about, but a tiny number of toddlers get a rare form of tumour which can be treated very effectively if diagnosed early enough. They are very rare, so it's unlikely but get it checked and ruled out. Hope it proves to be nothing to worry about.

mummyof2est2009 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:22:20

Thank you x

ladyvimes Sat 11-Mar-17 20:24:16

My son had this and I was worried. The gp referred him to hospital where he had blood tests, an X-ray and an ultrasound. Turned out he just has a lumpy rib cage! They all took it very seriously, however, so I'd go see your gp and take it from there.

reallyanotherone Sat 11-Mar-17 20:25:55

Could be his xiphoid process, the bit of bone kind of attached to the bottom of the sternum.

mummyof2est2009 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:32:37

Thank you for your replies ladyvimes was your sons attatched to his ribs? I can feel the bottom of his sternum then there is a gap then I can feel it reallyanotherone would there be a gap if it was xiphoid process? Thanks both for your replies

mummyof2est2009 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:43:03

I don't know if it makes any difference but he's 2 1/2

Grannyben Sat 11-Mar-17 20:57:31

I'm a grandma so I've got quite a bit of experience and I can only agree with the other posters, get in touch with your surgery first thing Monday morning. If you genuinely feel that you can't wait take him to A&E

reallyanotherone Sat 11-Mar-17 20:57:55

It sometimes can feel separate in babies...

Google some images.

One here: gregorygordonmd.com/xiphoid-process.html

mummyof2est2009 Sat 11-Mar-17 21:02:03

Thank you so much for that, it is in the same place but is wider and not as pointed. I think I will take him to the walk in centre tomorrow. Thanks again

flumpybear Sat 11-Mar-17 21:06:36

No harm in phoning the non emergency number for advice Tonight

Dontsayyouloveme Sun 12-Mar-17 23:55:42

A bloke I work with son (18 months) had this last year! Turned out just to be in infection if the cartilage, albeit very unusual in young children. IV antibiotics got rid of it!

mummyof2est2009 Mon 13-Mar-17 07:12:39

Apparently it is just an extension of his sternum! Thanks everyone for your replies!

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Mon 13-Mar-17 15:01:40

That's great news smile

flumpybear Fri 17-Mar-17 06:08:27

Xiphisternum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now