Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD 4 year long cold. has anyone else had this?

(14 Posts)
harriet1108 Fri 10-Mar-17 20:56:30

I have spend so long trawling the internet trying to find advice on this but can never seem to find anyone who has experienced the same thing. I will start from the beginning as it is all linked. when my DD was 16 weeks old i took her to the GP as her chest was rattling and it sounded like there was a lot of mucus there. If I remember rightly she was given antibiotics and we were sent off. Finished the course but it hadn't appeared to make a difference, she was also full of snot and snoring, also when she was asleep she would stop breathing for a short moment then start again (scary) this happened often. I took her back to the GP again she was given antibiotics and again they didn't work, i went to the doctors every 3 to 4 week for months, she also had a very chesty mucus cough. They then told me it would go when she was sitting. it never did, I was told it would stop when she was active, it never did. I honestly couldn't tell you how many times i went to the doctors with her in that first year, or how many times she had antibiotics for chest infections and secondary chest infections, this continued, and the doctors told me that reoccurring infections were very common in small children. To reoccur things have to go away or at least improve. I could have taken her to the doctors everyday with the same thing. Everyone commented on the loud sound she made when she breathed, and how snotty she was. This all continued much the same for the first couple of years. When she started to talk you could hear the mucus between each breath, you still can. She has sores on the face in the winter because of the constant green snot running from her nose. When she turned 3 she had numerous occasions when she was ill and her temperature would rage so high, so fast she would go floppy, couldn't move, talk or even keep her eyes open. Doctors said it was a viral infection sometimes or tonsillitis the next time. She has also had times when I thought she has a nose bleed (she gets them a lot) it is actually sick coming out of her nose. not her mouth, her nose. It is brown and stinks of sick, so i assume that is what it is. to this day (she was 4 in September) she has never had a day without thick green snot and a chest full of mucus, she has never had a nights sleep without coughing and snoring. she had her adenoids removed 9 months ago and still no difference. Any advice would be warmly welcomed. I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall, I have stood in the doctors surgery and cried and begged them to listen that's when she eventually had her adenoids out. I have been back time and time again and they just look at me like I'm lying about it. I feel hopeless.

welshmist Fri 10-Mar-17 20:59:36

OK you must feel desperate, I would be looking at allergies. DS had the green snot nose thing, was diagnosed as allergic rhinitis on top of that he was also diagnosed with asthma after a floppy attack put him in the hospital.

harriet1108 Fri 10-Mar-17 22:48:58

hi welshmist.
sorry I should have mentioned but there is so much to remember with all the things that have happened, she was given an inhaler to try for 3 months, with no change and also on antihistamines for 3 months as well as a dairy free diet for a while as we have a family history of dairy intolerance, but still no change.

welshmist Sat 11-Mar-17 08:51:42

This may sound crazy but friends DD had similar issues turned out she had aspirated a tiny piece of D'S Lego they found it in her lung could there be a foreign body in your child

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 11-Mar-17 12:07:52

Sounds very tough for you both. Has she had a chest X-ray? Aspiration can cause recurring chest infections.
Have you had a referral to a paediatrician or consultant?

harriet1108 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:03:03

thankyou that is defiantly something to consider.

harriet1108 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:07:19

yes she has been referred to a paediatrician, it took a lot of crying in the GPs to get them to reefer her, it was the paediatrician who referred her for the surgery to have her adenoids removed, I have been back to the GPs hoping for another referral but they do nothing. she has never had a chest xray, it took till she was 3 for them to even look in her mouth.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 11-Mar-17 19:11:49

When you eliminated dairy did you eliminate soya too?

Nearly half of dairy intolerant/allergic people also react to soya. Did you remove both when you tried it fir 3 months?

abeandhalo Sat 11-Mar-17 19:18:10

If it is allergies maybe try red light therapy device / phototherapy device. You can buy them from Amazon it's a red light that you put up your nose a few mins a day it changed my life. I heard about it from someone in our family who used it on their kid & it stopped them being snotty every day.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 11-Mar-17 19:21:02

I'm really shocked that she hasn't been sent for a chest X-ray op...I would definitely push for that with your gp.

I have no constructive advice but I really feel for you flowers

PebbleInTheMoonlight Sat 11-Mar-17 19:48:04

My sister used to have a major issue with mucus. Hers was because the tubes sinuses? around her face were pinched by a slight wonk in her nose.

Her body didn't like it and produced literally rivers of snot in response. She ended up having corrective nose surgery where they broke her nose and set it slightly straighter.

Visually you couldn't tell the difference once the swelling went down but aside from the odd random cold it hasn't been a problem since.

Keep pushing for a referral. You want one for ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) and as another poster suggested one for an xray of the chest to rule out the possibility of her inhaling a tiny foreign object when she was small that keeps aggravating her body.

I know my mother basically stalked to doctors to get my sister's referrals because "She'd grow out of it" but they did finally listen.

Also at age 4 you can ask your health visitor to intervene and help with referrals.

Best of luck flowers

harriet1108 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:09:09

Thankyou all so much for your advice. Its all very helpful. I will push on for those referrals.

Endmoor1405 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:16:33

My niece (5) had very similar symptoms that didn't respond to anything they did. She has since been treated for glue ear and has had grommits (sp?) put in and her adenoids removed. She has improved absolutely no end and is much happier now- sleeps better, can hear the television without it being turned right up and no longer has the persistent runny nose.

Hope you get something sorted out soon OP

chatnanny Sat 11-Mar-17 21:20:23

My DD was similar at that age and it was diagnosed as rhinitis (allergic) which got infected. If it's any consolation she did grown out of it. She also had chickenpox extremely badly and it all started after that, maybe a trigger. Hoping you get to the bottom of this and that she outgrows it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now