We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pyloric stenosis in 11 week old? Or else?

(4 Posts)
Kuverty Fri 10-Mar-17 04:29:34

Hi moms! So I've been completely freaking out the last three weeks when my DS started to drop on the centiles - going from 60% four weeks ago to about 30% sadsadthis week. He is still gaining but very tiny amounts, throws up, salivates and spits out constantly. HV sorted out a doctors appointment straight away but the doctor was USELESS. She didn't give us any advice or meds at all, just smiled loads and said to wait a few more weeks and see what happens.

I mean seriously what does she think will happen if we persistently have these symptoms:

- vomits almost after every feed
- poor weight gain
- extremely poor feeding (he'd latch on for a few seconds, detach - repeat times 10, then when he feeds eventually its for about 1 to 3 minutes and is finished - then throws up)
- he seems very pale

We've been previously told reflux and given gaviscone which caused constipation, then given donperidone which did nothing apart from causing DS more pain. Therefore he's not on any reflux meds at the moment.

He's been an awfully crying baby before I couldn't leave him alone for a second. His mood seems to be helped dramatically by Colief drops, seems much happier and was actually smiling at the doctor (doesn't help when you try to be taken seriously envy) but still throws up constantly and actually since started giving Colief his weight gain been the poorest.

Is it likely that this is pyloric stenosis at all? He forcefully throws up after most feeds - but perhaps not all the way across the room etc as he basically trained himself to eat next to nothing!

We're planning a trip across Europe for 2 weeks and I just don't know if we should go ahead with him being like that. I asked the doctor (who was a chubby platinum blonde lass with a deep fake tan - shouldn't matter but makes me doubt her "diagnosis" even further) and the doctor said it is absolutely fine to go confusedconfused

Any of you with children suffering from stenosis had similar symptoms? Or are they much worse? Any and all comments appreciated

Kuverty Fri 10-Mar-17 04:39:27

Just wanted to add that this doctor's examination consisted of some questions to which I answered the above and a quick feel of his tummy through his vest confused She didn't check the fontanelle spot which would be a good place to start since vomiting can cause dehydration, or anything else. Just went by the fact that he seemed content during the appointment. Apparently he is "just worrying mummy" and "not had his growth spurt" yeah obviously since he can't keep any food down!

melonribena Fri 10-Mar-17 06:20:27

That does sound very worrying. Poor little chap. I would go and see a different doctor and lay it on the line. Write down everything you are concerned about first to make sure nothing is forgotten.
Turn up at the surgery first thing and insist on seeing a different doctor.
I'm sorry I don't know about pyloric stenosis but clearly there's something that needs sorting.
Good luck and trust your instincts.

AnoiseAnnoysanOyster Fri 10-Mar-17 11:35:02

Unusual to be given domperidone as it's not used anymore. Ranitidine or omeprazole are the standard drugs for reflux if gaviscon fails (which like you also just made my DS constipated).

Pyloric stenosis does present itself in small babies, is it bile or green vomit? The other possibility it could be a cows milk protein allergy. Either way I would want a second opinion. You could go to a&e.

Yabu about the doctors appearance, it's irrelevant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now