Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Norethisterone and 10yo dd

(12 Posts)
Cinders74 Wed 08-Mar-17 19:32:13

My daughter started her periods aged 10 and 7 months. She's coped very well so far and had a 41 day and 47 day cycle (she's only had 3 so far).
Next month we're going to the Canary Islands for a week. Obviously dd is very excited and can't wait to be in the pool and go to a water park. However if she has another 41/47 day cycle she'll either start just before we go or in the middle of the holiday.
Not being able to go in the water will totally ruin the holiday for her. I've not discussed using tampons with her as I feel she is too young.
So I was wondering if anyone has been able to have norethisterone prescribed for their dd around this age? I've read of young teenagers being given it but wondered if it'd be ok in a girl this young?
TIA

O2BBesideTheSea Wed 08-Mar-17 19:34:15

I recently took it for my wedding and the doctor told me they wouldn't normally provide it if not on long term contraception (I have the implant). But it's worth asking anyway OP

dementedpixie Wed 08-Mar-17 19:35:11

So you would let her mess up her hormones rather than not discuss tampons? You get thinner smaller tampons suitable for younger girls

Leatherboundanddown Wed 08-Mar-17 19:35:47

I started using tampons at 10 so that could be an option?

highinthesky Wed 08-Mar-17 19:39:26

This is a tricky one. My view is that DD is too young for both norethisterone and tampons.

Her cycle is still settling so it may not be a consideration.

highinthesky Wed 08-Mar-17 19:40:42

^^ Not an answer I know, but if pushed I'd go with tampons.

dementedpixie Wed 08-Mar-17 19:44:21

Why too young for tampons?

AnyFucker Wed 08-Mar-17 19:49:19

Put her on the pill

sheesh

1AnnoyingOrange Wed 08-Mar-17 19:51:58

Its a bit young. I wouldnt ask for it, probably won't have her period all 7 days of the holiday.

RyanStartedTheFire Wed 08-Mar-17 20:34:43

Tampons obviously.
She's too young to have synthetic hormones put in her.

TheFirie Thu 09-Mar-17 01:40:55

I was in swimming squads doing international competitions when I was a teenager . Me and all the girls on the team would take it if our period were due around an important race. Mind you, I was 13, not 10, and I used tampons when training but not on competition.

10 is young but nothing will happen if you DD takes it once. I doubt your GP will prescribe it to a child.

AndKnowItsSeven Thu 09-Mar-17 02:16:32

My dd was prescribed it at 13 , I don't see the problem for a short time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now