Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Taking deep breaths - gasping almost

(13 Posts)
TheAntiBoop Tue 07-Mar-17 21:17:20

Dd (6) over the last few months has been taking regular deep breaths. Not linked to an activity but she says it is sore when she lies down and breathes. Sometimes it's a deep breath every minute and other times every other breath or so

Took her to the doctor and he listened to her breath and he couldn't hear anything in her lungs. She is bunged up a lot so he gave us a nasal steroid spray and told us to come back and see him in two months. He thinks it's a tic.

Any ideas what it could be or what it might be?

TheAntiBoop Wed 08-Mar-17 08:43:22

Bump!!

PoloZolo Wed 08-Mar-17 08:54:48

Why don't you film it next time to show your GP. Does it happen when she sleeps or just when awake?
No idea what it could be though.

TheAntiBoop Wed 08-Mar-17 09:04:01

That's a good question about the sleeping - I will watch her tonight!!

It's not all the time - and sometimes more obvious than others. Grandparents and her nanny have all commented on it

Cooloncraze Wed 08-Mar-17 09:05:41

I've had this and its a kind of hyperventilating issue. For some people it's linked to anxiety and in others it's a tic. I found the Buteyko breathing method helped (designed to help children with asthma).
Hope it passes for your Dd soon

NotAPuffin Wed 08-Mar-17 09:08:35

DD used to do this every so often. I asked her why and she said 'because I need to'. She hasn't done it in months now so I think she might have grown out of it thankfully, because it drove me round the twist.

TheAntiBoop Wed 08-Mar-17 10:44:11

That's comforting. She is a happy go lucky girl and not anxious at all so I'm not sure. She's always had problems breathing through her nose

I will google the breathing method and hopefully she will grow out of it!

Thank you

Cooloncraze Wed 08-Mar-17 12:25:57

yes don't worry i'm sure this is a phase that will pass. the buteyko method helps you breathe through your nose instead of your mouth.
distraction always helps too - it seems to be that the more you think about it the more you do it and keep taking big breaths - or yawning.

TheAntiBoop Wed 08-Mar-17 12:43:05

Yes - although she does it when she is distracted.

PJ67 Thu 09-Mar-17 00:06:34

Both my sons had this at about the same age. I'm pretty sure it was a tic as they had had other little things on and off such as blinking. I took ds1 to the gp as I was worried about asthma but it was a habit and they both grew out of it after a couple of months. I get it myself occasionally and the more I focus on it the more I want to do it so it's probably best to completely ignore.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 09-Mar-17 08:12:44

Sounds like a tic to me - ds1 did this every few seconds when he was awake for months when he was little it drove me mad

It's not necessarily anything to do with anxiety and drawing attention to it will definitely make it worse. However breathing tics are tricky as it could be caused by something more serious so if she has any other symptoms which suggest she's having trouble breathing then you'd need to get them checked out

TheAntiBoop Thu 09-Mar-17 08:17:41

The GP listened to her lungs and said she was fine. I guess I'm unsure about the nasal steroids.

She does struggle breathing through her nose though. I have been ignoring it so hopefully it will resolve itself!

Thank you - I feel reassured!!

thebellsofsaintclements Sat 11-Mar-17 22:30:30

Just to add my DD had that too at the age of 6 and again when she was 8 - both times she was going through a period of change (moving house, etc) so the GP linked it to anxiety. But definitely nothing major to worry about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now